Sign in to follow this  
3DModelerMan

Rigid body settings for characters?

3DModelerMan    1173
Hi, I'm trying to do a character movement system, and I already have rigid bodys programmed into my engine using Bullet. What kind of things should I set so that the character moves without rolling, and getting stuck? I heard the character controller was unfinished and untested, so I didn't want to use it.

karwosts    840
My guess is that you don't want your character to be a rigid body at all. I would just insert your character's bounding box as just a collidable object (not sure what the class is called in bullet), then use the collision callbacks to handle its movement yourself.

Unless you really want physics based movement (you probably don't) its best to just handle the kinematics yourself. Physics engines aren't really meant for player objects that don't move according to physical laws.

KulSeran    3267
The character controller isn't perfect, but it has a lot of the right code in there. You want to setup a ghost collision object, then sweep that around. It will provide you with all the interesting collision pairs that you may want to collide with. You can then choose how you want to respond to each collision, instead of the normal physical reactions.