Advanced Game Engine Design

Started by
41 comments, last by jpetrie 13 years, 6 months ago
and if your just ganna talk negatively without any real point to your post then please i do not need your input. just make a new thread saying how much you hate me. but i know this project is at least ok. and i have made games, i made some small ones and alot, ALOT of simulations and i was meaning not a comercial type game or anything of that size
Advertisement
I have a million dollar question - Can you make a game with this? If the answer is no - you are doing it wrong.

And yeah please improve your English if you want some serious answers. A lot of professionals from different countries visit these forums so trying to speak too cleverly can jeopardize your chances of getting them to take you seriously.
The more applications I write, more I find out how less I know
lol can i make a game cmon man would i post this if i could not. how can you not make a game with a user interface\Physics\AI\Script\Graphics\Input\Sound\Networking then just add ur own game specific types well then yes u can make a game easy. ok i see what ur all saying without posting my code or more details ur not ganna get where with such a high level view so ill come back when i have some projects done showing how its used and ill just let you download it and reference the games code, but ill leave the engine code out of course nnot ganna give that away i dont care if it sucks i dont let people see my code ever
Quote:Original post by Scrut but ill leave the engine code out of course nnot ganna give that away i dont care if it sucks i dont let people see my code ever

But then how will I stealz your Ubar game engine and call it my own!!??1
-Jawshttp://uploading.com/files/eff2c24d/TGEpre.zip/
lol cmon its not uber its no commercial engine and uber would only include a special set of engines i mean cmon its the word "uber" not "amature" i said advanced cause its more high level oriented around general engine development and wanted as many people to look at my post
Hmm, "hardcore love physics" seems a bit too naughty for this forum.

Seriously, I second many observations made by others:

- Correct grammar and a nicer attitude would allow you to get more help in this or any other forum: for example, describing something actually obscure as "Cmon you know wtf this shit is" not only shows you aren't much willing (or able) to communicate, but subconsciously translates to "you know this is shit" for most readers.

- Writing tutorials but "not give everything away" are incompatible objectives, and in your case both are bad objectives;

- Your "layers" don't seem much layered at all: for instance, "Mathematics" is normally independent from hardware and software environment abstraction layers and appropriate "Objects" presumably appear in each library or framework layer.

- Hardware dependent code is normally a solved problem if you have an operating system and a C runtime library: what's in your "Platform" layer?

- If your purpose is to brag about how good a game developer you are, the commonly accepted approach is "show, don't tell": give screenshots, descriptions and download links for your games;

- If on the other hand you want advice, the quality of the answers is limited by the quality of the questions.

Omae Wa Mou Shindeiru

now you just do you and ima do me all day dudes love to hate
Quote:Original post by Scrut
lol can i make a game cmon man would i post this if i could not. how can you not make a game with a user interface\Physics\AI\Script\Graphics\Input\Sound\Networking then just add ur own game specific types well then yes u can make a game easy. ok i see what ur all saying without posting my code or more details ur not ganna get where with such a high level view so ill come back when i have some projects done showing how its used and ill just let you download it and reference the games code, but ill leave the engine code out of course nnot ganna give that away i dont care if it sucks i dont let people see my code ever

Seems like you don't understand. Basic reason to make a game engine is to simplify making a game. Once you understand that, writing a game engine makes more sense.

Lets take a few scenarios :-

Can I make a game in which I would need to trigger events, activate doors, press buttons in a level, pick up objects, animate characters, blend animations, have different kinds of cameras. Or do I have to write the code for all this? What is the difference between AI and script. What does AI do and what does script do. Can I do things like path navigation or does the AI mean simple finite state machine AI.

Does your user interface support breaking the image into smaller segments of data or does it only work with few single images. What kind of font system is supported in your user interface? Is there a way to create my own font style in your code. Other than that does it support only bitmap fonts or does it also support true type fonts.

What kind of networking do you support. Can I have 200-300 clients connected at a time. In a client server model, how are you supporting prediction or is it left up to end users to worry about it.

What kind of lighting models do you support? Simple vertex lighting, light mapping, HDR etc.

If the answers to most of that is - I have to write it myself, might as well write the game before making the engine and then make it more generic and evolve that into an engine.
The more applications I write, more I find out how less I know
I'm going to ignore all to profanity and uneducated ghetto talk... Anyway, no, you are not on the right path. From what I can tell it sounds like you are just using scripting and adding a bunch of random functions to it but to be honest you are not making yourself very clear.

That method is not direct enough. You want to make a game engine that can be used to make games. You should think of a game as a scene with props and actors then make an engine that simply renders the scene.
Quote:Original post by Sirisian
and ima writing a tutorial on my user interface all tutorials on this subject

It's generally suggested that beginners not write tutorials. Leave it to experts that have researched thoroughly the possible approaches to a problem. Things like user interface design are very well understood, and while it might seem like you have made an awesome design you might want to hold off because you'll end up starting a new project later and iteratively find a better solution invalidating your tutorial.

Also that is kind of odd that you use a lot of profanity. Most children get over that around high school. Interesting.

Even though there's a lot of sense in leaving the tutorials to the experts,
I know from own experience that writing a tutorial for yourself can be very
educating. You know; like a report you need to hand in at school.

And, slightly off-topic:
now you just do you and ima do me all day dudes

I think this could win a quote of the day award...

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement