Sign in to follow this  
Kuppikeitto

Creating MSI which inturn should launch another MSI

All,
I've have created a 'setup project' from 'Setup & deployment' project types of VS2008.My requirement is to create a master MSI , when launched should give feature based installation depending upon the user selection.
i,e should prompt with complete Or custom. Under Custom selection setup type should have following three features

1. feature one is like dumping files on to target machine.
2. feature two is launching MSI which is the third party provided.
3. Feature three is launching MSI which is the third party provided.

User should be provided to select all / any of the above three features.
I've seen similar setup MSI's created from Installshield setup project but in VS2008 i tried to see similar dialog box (under 'user interface editor' -> Install user interface dialog properties).

now the question is , is it possible to launch MSI from with in a MSI and have custom user interface so that , the user has choice to select feature or feature's of his choice?.

Thank you in advance.

Regards,
Narci

All,
It seems one cannot launch MSI within another MSI.
It will fail with error 1618 "Another installation is already in progress. Complete that installation before proceeding with this install."
Am not sure of other packing software but in VS setup & deployment project its not possible.

All,
It seems one cannot launch MSI within another MSI.
It will fail with error 1618 "Another installation is already in progress. Complete that installation before proceeding with this install."
Am not sure of other packing software but in VS setup & deployment project its not possible.