Sign in to follow this  
AplDrm

SlimDx, Directx9 tearing, Nvidia, windowed mode, small form size

AplDrm    100
Hello all!

I'd like to start by apologizing if this is off-topic and out of context, in that case please close the topic and ignore :)

Today I've moved to SlimDX to (re)create a simple DX9 application that I had made in the past using Managed DX, a text-scroller.

I found it very easy to get this up and running in SlimDX:

using System;
using System.Drawing;
using System.Windows.Forms;
using SlimDX;
using SlimDX.Direct3D9;
using SlimDX.Windows;

namespace SlimScroller
{
static class Program
{
[STAThread]
static void Main()
{
var form = new RenderForm("SlimScroller");
form.ClientSize = new Size(800, 70);

var d3dpp = new PresentParameters();
d3dpp.BackBufferWidth = form.ClientSize.Width;
d3dpp.BackBufferHeight = form.ClientSize.Height;
d3dpp.PresentationInterval = PresentInterval.One;

var device = new Device(new Direct3D(), 0, DeviceType.Hardware, form.Handle, CreateFlags.HardwareVertexProcessing, d3dpp);

var fontSprite = new Sprite(device);
var font = new SlimDX.Direct3D9.Font(device, 100, 0, FontWeight.Bold, 0, false, CharacterSet.Default, Precision.Default, FontQuality.ClearTypeNatural, PitchAndFamily.DontCare, "tahoma");
var intXPos = new int();

MessagePump.Run(form, () =>
{
device.Clear(ClearFlags.Target | ClearFlags.ZBuffer, Color.Blue, 1.0f, 0);
device.BeginScene();

intXPos = intXPos - 3; //move the text across the screen to the left
if (intXPos < -500) { intXPos = 800; }; //reset to restart text

fontSprite.Begin(SpriteFlags.AlphaBlend);
font.DrawString(fontSprite, "Hello there Hello there Hello there Hello there Hello there Hello there", new Rectangle(0, -17, 1200, 200), DrawTextFormat.Left, Color.Yellow);
fontSprite.Transform = Matrix.Translation(intXPos, 0, 0.5f);
fontSprite.End();

device.EndScene();
device.Present();
});

foreach (var item in ObjectTable.Objects)
item.Dispose();

}
}
}

I have ran this application on Windows 7 with ATI graphics-hardware, runs fine. On Intel-graphics hardware, fine also. But on Nvidia hardware, terrible tearing occurs in the text, more or less like in this picture (it's not an actual screenshot though):

http://img709.imageshack.us/i/buggynvidia.png/

Tried multiple Nvidia PC's, running different Nvidia cards, all have this issue, while ATI Radeon cards do not. I tried reinstalling a clean Windows 7 with nothing installed besides graphic cards drivers (over Windows Update) + latest DX9 redistributable (June 2010) + latest SlimDX redistributable (June 2010) but even then the tearing occurs.

Increasing the form size (vertically) seems to help. It just does not like the small vertical form/backbuffer size of only 70px.

Does anyone of you have any ideas regarding this or how to fix it?

Thanks for reading!

[Edited by - AplDrm on October 13, 2010 5:45:11 PM]

AplDrm    100
I tried enforcing vSync on in the nvidia control panel, didn't help.

What I do not understand is why this tearing happens in a small form only - extending the form size to a height of, say, 200px, and the tearing is gone. That is not an option for me though.

Maybe someone that is on W7 + Nvidia is willing to copy/paste the code into Visual Studio (I used 2010, add a reference to SlimDX and it should run) to see if I am just very unlucky with my Nvidia tests so far?

Mike.Popoloski    3258
I'm on a NVIDIA QuadroFX, and I don't see any of the tearing. It might be an issue with your drivers or card.

Since you're on Windows 7, try using DeviceEx and Direct3DEx to get D3D9Ex support, which works better on Windows Vista and up. This might solve your problem.

AplDrm    100
This also happens to be a Quadro FX 370 I am testing on now (though had this on other Nvidia cards as well such as a few from the Geforce 8000 series)

Tried switching to DeviceEx and Direct3DEx, didn't solve it.

I did do a discovery though. The tearing only occurs when running the (clean install of) W7 in the Classic mode (Aero turned off). When Aero is running tearing does not occur.

(edit: to be more precise, basic Aero still does not cut it, the transparency effects have to be enabled, as soon as that's on, tearing is gone)

Not sure how running in Aero or not would affect DirectX 9 in this way though.

[Edited by - AplDrm on October 13, 2010 5:07:30 PM]