Sign in to follow this  
Ratslayer

C++ template restriction issues.

Ratslayer    110
Hello, I'm trying to use templates in C++ a la Java, where you can restrict generics parameters to ones that inherit a specific class. However, I couldn't find any way for C++ to restrict to/ensure that the types I pass to the template are inheriting a specific class (in my case it's BBComponent, which contains only a string Name). So I decided to just plug in an hope for the best which, obviously, didn't work out. Here's the code:

BBVector.h

#pragma once
#include "BBExternals.h"
template<class T>
class BBVector : public std::vector<T>
{
public:
BBVector(void){};
~BBVector(void){};

T GetByName(string name)
{
for(unsigned int i=0;i<size();i++)
if(get(i).Name==name)
return get(i);
throw(name);
};
int GetIdByName(string name)
{
for(unsigned int i=0;i<size();i++)
if(get(i).Name==name)
return i;
return -1;
}
bool remove(string name)
{
int n=GetIdByName(name);
if(n>=0)
erase(n);
else return false;
return true;
}
};

And here is are the errors it gives me:

1>c:\users\ratslayer\documents\visual studio 2010\projects\bbeditorconsole\bbeditorconsole\bbvector.h(13): error C2228: left of '.Name' must have class/struct/union
1> type is ''unknown-type''
1> c:\users\ratslayer\documents\visual studio 2010\projects\bbeditorconsole\bbeditorconsole\bbvector.h(11) : while compiling class template member function 'Team BBVector<T>::GetByName(string)'
1> with
1> [
1> T=Team
1> ]
1> c:\users\ratslayer\documents\visual studio 2010\projects\bbeditorconsole\bbeditorconsole\resourceman.h(10) : see reference to class template instantiation 'BBVector<T>' being compiled
1> with
1> [
1> T=Team
1> ]
1>c:\users\ratslayer\documents\visual studio 2010\projects\bbeditorconsole\bbeditorconsole\bbvector.h(13): error C3861: 'get': identifier not found
1>c:\users\ratslayer\documents\visual studio 2010\projects\bbeditorconsole\bbeditorconsole\bbvector.h(14): error C3861: 'get': identifier not found

As far as I can tell, it complains because T is not an actual class type and, therefor, it can not have instances and can not have attributes (thus T.Name does not have any meaning). However, it just told me that T=Team, so the compiler knows what T is and could easily convert the type and plug in .Name. What am I doing wrong? Or is there a different way to do this? I'm trying to make a class that inherits std::vector that will hold only instances of classes inheriting BBComponent, so I can implement removeByName, GetByName and GetIdByName functions.

pablo24    156
Don't inherit from std::vector, it doesn't have a virtual destructor!

How about something like this?

#pragma once

#include <boost/static_assert.hpp>
#include <boost/type_traits/is_base_of.hpp>
#include <stdexcept>
#include "BBExternals.h"

template<class T>
class BBVector
{
BOOST_STATIC_ASSERT((boost::is_base_of<BBComponent, T>::value));

typedef std::vector<T> conainer;
container values;

public:
const T& GetByName(string name) const
{
for(container::const_iterator iter = values.begin(); iter != values.end(); ++iter)
{
if(values[i].Name == name)
{
return values[i];
}
}
throw(std::runtime_error("Could no find element by name: " + name));
}

int GetIdByName(string name) const
{
for(container::const_iterator iter = values.begin(); iter != values.end(); ++iter)
{
if(values[i].Name == name)
{
return i;
}
}
return -1;
}

bool remove(string name)
{
int n = GetIdByName(name);
if(n >= 0)
{
values.erase(n);
return true;
}
return false;
}
};

I still think you should just use a boost::unordered_map<std::string, BBComponent>, because your container is slower (linear search) and goes completely against the standard container design.

Oh and did you intend to store polymorphic types in this container? Then use boost::ptr_unordered_map<std::string, BBComponent>.

Ratslayer    110
Thank you for your help.

@kloffy The get is most likely an inherited function from one of vector's parent classes. I think I accidentally remembered the get from Java and wrote it, and VS2010 IntelliSense agreed with me. When I changed to at() everything works now.

@pablo24 This is a programming assignment, and I don't think I'm comfortable enough with boost to actually integrate it on-fly. I'll look into boost::unordered_map however once I'm done, thanks for the suggestion.