Sign in to follow this  
nemo_vgi

Assembling a Development Team

Hey, I have been following these forums for a while now but only just registered today.

I am wondering how one would assemble a development team without having money behind them?

I have been working on my game design for a few months now, and feel if I had the right people, it could have been at a demo standard right now. However, I understand if I want to make a good game, I need a good team, and people who are good at what they do, would want paying.

I'll be honest and say I have no programming capabilities, and can not draw, however I am fresh out of college after studying music and have many tracks that could be used in different genres of games, not to mention I am working on the design of my own game. As part of a team, I would work on the music, as well as describing how the game should play, look and feel.

To sum up I guess what I am saying is, for someone who has a game written down, including story, mechanics, ideas for art, and a lot of music recorded for it, but has no job and no money to pay artists and programmers, how could I assemble a team and get started on this game properly? (If it makes a difference, it is a fighting game that I hope to get to a PS3/360 standard. I know I'm aiming high, but I am realistic about my goals. I don't expect to get a game on a next gen console over night).

This was meant to be short, I get carried away explaining things though.

Thanks for your replies.

Quote:
Original post by nemo_vgi
I am wondering how one would assemble a development team without having money behind them?

So it'll be a team of amateurs, since pros will not work for free.
Then it's simple -- go on the Help Wanted board and write such a great announcement that people will want to work with you.

I know plenty of pros working for free on indie projects. However, it usually requires some mix of a project leader with previous industry experience, a really great game design, and/or contacts in the industry.

Not very helpful, I know.

Your best bet, as Tom Sloper already posted, is to make a great post in Help Wanted. Projects are a dime a dozen. Good projects, not so much. Make it count.

As everyone else stated, starting on the Help Wanted forum is as good a place to start as any, however I honestly don't know how anyone could get free workers for a PS3/360 quality game (unless they REALLLLLLY believe in the design and are guaranteed a percentage of the game's revenue I guess).

Perhaps setting your sights on something smaller for your first few projects. Hell, if you knock a few smaller games out of the park you might even get a few eager and talented devs to work for free on your dream game.

Quote:
Original post by 1863
I know plenty of pros working for free on indie projects. However, it usually requires some mix of a project leader with previous industry experience, a really great game design, and/or contacts in the industry.

I would take that farther. Those few (aka "plenty") pros who are working unpaid on indie projects are definitely always (not just "usually") doing so with other pros, on projects designed by industry pros -- and they're all between jobs, unless they have written permission to moonlight, and have a solid plan for how the game is going to make money, and fast (because they're between jobs and not getting paid and need the money, and fast).
Absolutely never will you find pros working unpaid on an amateur's concept. They don't need to. Concepts are worth half a penny a dozen.

Quote:
Original post by Tom Sloper
I would take that farther. Those few (aka "plenty") pros who are working unpaid on indie projects are definitely always (not just "usually") doing so with other pros, on projects designed by industry pros -- and they're all between jobs, unless they have written permission to moonlight, and have a solid plan for how the game is going to make money, and fast (because they're between jobs and not getting paid and need the money, and fast).
Absolutely never will you find pros working unpaid on an amateur's concept. They don't need to. Concepts are worth half a penny a dozen.

Respectfully, we'll have to agree to disagree then. I can promise you they are out there, written permission to moonlight or not. It's not always about the money.