The Difference Between Theme and Mood

Started by
3 comments, last by krez 13 years, 6 months ago
I have gone around the net looking. I must be very daft because I am just not getting it. I remember in the front of each of the core, new, World of Darkness books they had a few paragraphs on Theme, and a few on Mood, but it all pretty much felt the same.

If you can, dumb it down for me, that would be a great help
Advertisement
Mood is the emotion the story creates in the audience. Theme is the moral/philosophical content of the story. They go together because stories use emotion to convince the audience of philosophical points.

For example, say I want to develop the theme "prejudice is wrong". I can't just have a character say "prejudice is wrong" because there's nothing persuasive and convincing about that. Instead I could show a character being hurt by another character's prejudice. That would be a mood of tragedy, helplessness, and injustice. Because the audience feels helpless and angry that tragedy and injustice are happening to a character they like, the audience feels on a gut level that prejudice is wrong.

I want to help design a "sandpark" MMO. Optional interactive story with quests and deeply characterized NPCs, plus sandbox elements like player-craftable housing and lots of other crafting. If you are starting a design of this type, please PM me. I also love pet-breeding games.

Sorry to burst your bubble, sunandshadow.
What bubble would that be? I've done the same thing, post the same question on two or three forums to get more opinions. I don't see a spam-signature or anything that would suggest an ulterior motive for this post. Do you think the post-contents are something copied and pasted by a bot?

Edit: Oh I see, spam signature was removed by previous moderation, poster hasn't realized it yet. *Banhammer*

I want to help design a "sandpark" MMO. Optional interactive story with quests and deeply characterized NPCs, plus sandbox elements like player-craftable housing and lots of other crafting. If you are starting a design of this type, please PM me. I also love pet-breeding games.

Sorry to go off topic on a SPAM thread, but what is up with the "x" tag in that post?

<x x="">
--- krez ([email="krez_AT_optonline_DOT_net"]krez_AT_optonline_DOT_net[/email])

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement