BSP Collision

Started by
8 comments, last by phresnel 13 years, 6 months ago
Im a little confused as to how collision is performed within a BSP tree, specifically the enviroment. From my understanding the tree is traversed, and any nodes that intersected that happen to be leaf nodes have their data collision checked.

That being, in the Quake 3 format, nodes have a left and right child. Where these nodes can be of 2 types, BSP tree nodes, or leaf nodes. BSP tree nodes mark that the child has further children to traverse. Where as the leaf node types marks the end of traversal of this route, and contains data for that node for rendering and collision detection.

Whilts I understand how this works for scene objects. In that the leaf node contains a list of collision brushes. Where each brush is the convex hull of a scene object. I dont understand how you are supposed to check for collisions agains the enviroment, that being the walls,floor and ceiling. Is this data stored in brushes as well? I dont see how that would woek as this enviroment data isnt convex.
Advertisement
Why haven't you been banned yet?
It could be that they break the concave objects into convex ones.

you can break a concave shape into multiple convex ones.

also, pure bsp breaks every shape down to individual polygons, but not sure if that's how the quake 3 format works
Quote:Original post by _fastcall

I really don't get what you're trying to achieve here
[size="1"]
Quote:Original post by _fastcall
Please report such posts to moderators rather than simply replying so that we can delete them and ban the user in question if they are in fact spamming.

That being said, in this case we've banned the spammer before he posted any links in this particular topic, and as it's still a valid technical discussion I'm not going to close it at present.

- Jason Astle-Adams

Can I get a rules check here please. This guy was banned because he made the same call for help on a different website? wow!
------------------------------Great Little War Game
Quote:Original post by Rubicon
Can I get a rules check here please. This guy was banned because he made the same call for help on a different website? wow!

No. Because this spammer recycled strangers real posts and salted them spam: little writeup
ahaa! I was wondering why he got banned. For his profile and the shit it's advertising. They must be desperate to do this pathetic thing...
Thanks for clearing that up Phresnel. Yeah damn him to burn in hell... :)
------------------------------Great Little War Game
Oh, it was fastcall who recognised him, not me. I just scanned through some linkage.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement