• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
orbikk

Noob Python coder, need help

This topic is 2923 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hey everyone, I'm trying to make a program where you enter what all you need to get from the grocery store. It then put's those items into a list, sorts the list than prints the list. This is the code I have as of right now..

def menu():
print "Welcome"
print "What would you like to do?"
print " "
print "1) Create"
print "2) Quit"
return input("Choose an option: ")

list = []

def add(raw_input):
list.append( (raw_input) )

loop = 1
choice = 0

while loop == 1:
choice = menu()
if choice == 1:
add(raw_input("Enter an item: "))
q = raw_input("Would you like to add another item? y/n: ")
if q == y:
add(raw_input("Enter an item: "))
if q == n:
loop = 0
elif choice == 2:
loop = 0
print "end"

When I run it, it runs normally, It allows me to enter my first item, and it puts it into the list, it than ask, "would you like to add another item? y/n

and if i hit either y or n it gives me this error..

Traceback (most recent call last):
File "C:\Python24\test1", line 23, in -toplevel-
if q == y:
NameError: name 'y' is not defined

I thought since i was using q = raw_input I figured it would work, i'm not too sure whats wrong. Can anyone help?

Advertisement
the problem in that comparison is that python is looking for a variable named y. You should instead use character 'y'. So:

q == 'y'
q == 'n'

Hey, thanks that helped a lot! is there anyway I can just loop that general area? because if I choose 'y' it will ask for another item, than I type the item in then it loops the whole entire code :\

Hello orbikk, I took the liberty of cleaning up your code.
Changes and explanations:

• Multiline strings. Look at the code.EDIT: ''' '''

• Don't forget to use raw_input for input.

• When you receive input(Trough raw_input) you get it as a string even if it is a number.

• You can use while as a conditional + loop. I am sure you will like that trick.:D

• The function add is only called once in your whole code. It is better to take it off.

def menu():
print '''Welcome
What would you like to do?
1) Create
2) Quit'''
#Maybe you will like this for multiline strings.
return raw_input("Choose an option: ") # Don't we learn? Use raw_input.

list = []
while 1:
choice = menu()
while choice == '1': #Don't forget we are getting chars and not ints. You will also like this one as a conitional. :D
list.append(raw_input("Enter an item: ")) # It is better if you don't define it as a function since you only call it once.
if(raw_input("Would you like to add another item? y/n: ")).lower() == ' n':break
if choice == '2':break #Don't forget we are getting chars and not ints.
print "end"

Hope it helps :D

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!