Some Feedback Needed

Started by
10 comments, last by szecs 13 years, 6 months ago
Hi, i never thought to have the balls to ask you for feedback, but i think it's necesary, so, if you can please:

My resume

Thanks
Advertisement
The filename is CV-10.pdf
That's a bad filename! Can you think of a better way to name your resume file?

-- Tom Sloper -- sloperama.com

If you don't have the ball to ask it on the forums, would you have balls to send it to a company?!

Anyway, It's not bad, maybe a bit too wordy. But the youtube stuff is pretty solid IMHO.
Thanks for both comments, and szecs you are absolutly right, i had some fears, but not anymore. Too wordy? in general?

Thanks again.
There are several spelling mistakes (e.g. "Adress", "proyects"). Those alone will get your CV tossed into the garbage can immediately.

I usually don't put the durations beside each skill. Instead of making it more likely for someone to call you for an interview, chances are that they will used against you as a reason to reject your CV.

If you feel you are weaker at something it's better to reset that expectation during the interview and ensure the interviewer that you are a fast learner and enthusiastic as well.
A few more nitpicks:

"Faculty of Engineering University City"

I think the City is in the wrong place.

"México DF"

Why the accent here and not elsewhere?

"Responsible of"

Should be responsible for. I saw this in two places.

"Directx9c"

I don't think that is the correct capitalization/spacing.

"Vikingrofl 3D"

Maybe consider renaming this? rofl does not look professional on a resume.

"(Directx9c && C++)"

What's with the &&? This should be a resume and not source-code. ;)

"Win 32 API"

Should be Win32 API.

"Win 95/98/Me/XP/Vista/7 (user), Linux (user)"

I would simplify to just Windows and Unix (if that is true). You may list the different flavors of Unix as that carries more weight than the different versions of Windows imho. Drop the (user) portions.

Finally drop the beginner/intermediate from the Development section.

I don't mean all of these points to be petty but they are things I've noticed.
loom_weaver Thankyou so much, those kind of things is what i was looking for.

I think that I need to study a lot on spelling, I have no excuse, is just that, nobody here even try to speak in English, and it's hard to practice without other people. But I'm going to register to English Courses, I think that be self-taught on studying other languages is not the best way to go.

About the "Faculty of Engineering University City" sentence, I missed a comma, our main campus is called "University City", and the Vikingrofl was a school project, with all the intention to be sarcastic, but you are right, would be better to change that too.

I really really appreciate your help, today I learned so much.
Hi _Camus_ you not need to translated the name of the school "Ciudad universitaria" aka (UNAM), you won't translate Windows Vista to "Ventana Vista" or Microsoft Office to "Microsoft oficina", etc.
Quote:Original post by ragnarsun
Hi _Camus_ you not need to translated the name of the school "Ciudad universitaria" aka (UNAM), you won't translate Windows Vista to "Ventana Vista" or Microsoft Office to "Microsoft oficina", etc.

If the name of the school is Ciudad Universitaria, then it would be translated as City University anyway (not University City, which doesn't make sense). Like Loom Weaver suggested earlier.
You can never go wrong by listing a school by both names, one in parentheses. Either of these is fine:
Ciudad Universitaria (City University)
City University (Ciudad Universitaria)
And Erick, I was serious about the filename. What filename are you going to use when sending the resume to a potential employer?

-- Tom Sloper -- sloperama.com

Thanks Tom, that filename is for my "version" CV-N, where N is the lastest version. I made all the changes you suggested and other ones (like remove the word "Senior"), and it is ready to go, again, thanks!

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement