DirectX9 - Having Problems Displaying Textures...

Started by
17 comments, last by nlraley 13 years, 6 months ago
That would probably be it. I'll see if I can figure out how to set those.
Advertisement
Didn't I set up the matrixes in the Blit3D function?
Ah, he added that in the extra notes. I didn't think I needed that to get it up and running since it was in extra details.
It appears this may be your first DirectX project. Even if not, I'd strongly suggest you work through some of the examples in the SDK. There's one that draws a simple triangle (untextured but similar to what you're trying) that would've provided you with a good basis for the basics (setting up the device, etc.).

Please don't PM me with questions. Post them in the forums for everyone's benefit, and I can embarrass myself publicly.

You don't forget how to play when you grow old; you grow old when you forget how to play.

Yea, it's my first one in DirectX 9, and to add further complications I'm doing this in Borland Builder 6. If I don't get this ironed out by the end of the day I'll spend some time this weekend trying to get one up and running in Visual Studio at home.

)I'm just having a hard time finding anything that goes into decent detail about what is doing what and what needs to be done, and I could find which SDK examples I needed to look into b/c I wasn't exactly sure on the terminology for what I was trying to do.
Yeah, starting out can be difficult. Not sure about newer SDKs, but there should be a Samples folder. If so, then go into the C++ examples, Direct3D folder, Tutorials folder and look through there. Should be a simple progression of "Create Device," "Vertices," "Matrices," etc., to get you started. It'd be well worth your time.

And.. get the debug runtime running! That'll give you quite detailed error descriptions in the IDE output window of Visual Studio.

Please don't PM me with questions. Post them in the forums for everyone's benefit, and I can embarrass myself publicly.

You don't forget how to play when you grow old; you grow old when you forget how to play.

I think I have debug running. I'm not getting errors per say, its just not displaying anything.
1. I'd highly recommend Visual Studio over Borland Builder - VS2010 Express is free, officially supported with the DirectX SDK (Unlike Borland Builder), and is an industry standard.

2. I'd also highly recommend using ID3DXSprite instead of managing a vertex buffer yourself - ID3DXSprite is going to be easier to handle, more efficient, and has less to go wrong.

3. You should get output similar to the following if the debug runtimes are set up correctly and a function fails:
If you don't get any relevant output, try running DebugView and see if that records any output (In case Borland Builder is failing in some way)
Well, the reason I was running it in Borland was b/c I was asked to attempt to create a DirectX based offline mapping system for our program, which is written in Borland. The company hasn't decided to move over to a newer Builder or Visual Studio yet due to the time it would take to convert our 2 main programs that we develop for.

But I'm building a project from scratch in VS 2010 right now and trying to get things up and running there. Once I have everything there loaded, I'll try and port it over to Borland.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement