Sign in to follow this  
Dark_Dream

Game engine or something else?

Dark_Dream    100
Hello all,

First, some info about me: I'm a professional (mostly web) developer for the last 5+ years (and some more as a hobbyist/student) working with PHP and Java (and some front-end languages like javascript which are irrelevant for my question). I also have C++ knowledge but it was some years ago and only on academic level.

My experience in game development is very small and only as a hobby: I've built a couple of (very simple and static) browser games using php/mysql and a couple of tetris-like (very basic animation) games in Java.

Along with my job I'm studying for a phd degree. My research is on game AI algorithms, therefore at some point I'll have to develop a prototype to demonstrate & evaluate my proposed algorithm. I see that as my opportunity to deal with game development more seriously than I used to.

My question:
Do you believe I should start learning a game engine? If yes what would you propose? I've done a very quick research on them and I saw that Unreal engine is very popular (it was used on several academic projects as well as in commercial and I also liked Unity. Unfortunately I soon got lost into all the available engines (there are A LOT!) and I thought that it would be better to ask you.

Maybe dealing with a game engine is the wrong way? Maybe I should try and build something more complex than the things I've build (remember the tetris-like games I've mentioned before) by using the core languages (Java or C++?) and maybe some graphic libraries instead of complete 3d game engines?

I'm a little confused and I'd appreciate any suggestion and/or any help to clarify things (especially if I'm saying something completely wrong).

Thank you :-)

Dark_Dream    100
Unity this is one of the two engines that I picked from the bunch (I've mentioned it before). Do you think that it worth it?

To clarify, I don't care that much about my phd (my evaluation can be even a text-based game), but I believe it's a nice opportunity to actually learn something that will help me to move into professional (company or indie) game development in the future.

FableFox    699
you can't go wrong with either unity3d or UDK - it's one of the industry standard in a sense. not actually "standard" per see, but one of the tops and most popular.

the reason why UDK is used a lot in education is due to their "free for education" policy - even if you charge for tuition fee - and it's features are not limited - unlike Unity. couple by the fact i's one of the best AAA engine out there, it's a good strategy.

Dark_Dream    100
Ok then game engine it is! I think I'm going to try them both (since I've already downloaded them) and see what fits to my development style.

Thank you for your answers.

PS: What do you mean by "AAA"?
(I've seen it again in here but I can't figure out what does it mean)

Hodgman    51323
Quote:
Original post by Dark_Dream
PS: What do you mean by "AAA"?
(I've seen it again in here but I can't figure out what does it mean)
'Tripple A' is a quality rating. It generally means "big budget". E.g. things like Halo, GTA, COD, etc are "AAA games".
So a "AAA engine" would be one that is used to make these kinds of expensive, commercial games.

Jarwulf    223
Quote:
Original post by Dark_Dream
Hello all,

First, some info about me: I'm a professional (mostly web) developer for the last 5+ years (and some more as a hobbyist/student) working with PHP and Java (and some front-end languages like javascript which are irrelevant for my question). I also have C++ knowledge but it was some years ago and only on academic level.

My experience in game development is very small and only as a hobby: I've built a couple of (very simple and static) browser games using php/mysql and a couple of tetris-like (very basic animation) games in Java.

Along with my job I'm studying for a phd degree. My research is on game AI algorithms, therefore at some point I'll have to develop a prototype to demonstrate & evaluate my proposed algorithm. I see that as my opportunity to deal with game development more seriously than I used to.

My question:
Do you believe I should start learning a game engine? If yes what would you propose? I've done a very quick research on them and I saw that Unreal engine is very popular (it was used on several academic projects as well as in commercial and I also liked Unity. Unfortunately I soon got lost into all the available engines (there are A LOT!) and I thought that it would be better to ask you.

Maybe dealing with a game engine is the wrong way? Maybe I should try and build something more complex than the things I've build (remember the tetris-like games I've mentioned before) by using the core languages (Java or C++?) and maybe some graphic libraries instead of complete 3d game engines?

I'm a little confused and I'd appreciate any suggestion and/or any help to clarify things (especially if I'm saying something completely wrong).

Thank you :-)

What exactly is your ph.d dissertation going to be on? If its AI algorithms I'd be more focused on studying AIs rather than building a graphics monster of a game unless you think a glitzy presentation will help sway things in your favor. Since this is a doctorate you'll need to go farther I guess by identifying something the AIs available haven't done or something about them people haven't noticed and create a program that demonstrates this.

Also what can be called AI in a game often is controversial as I found out when I called A* AI.