1v1 Tournament FPS

Started by
0 comments, last by Iron Chef Carnage 13 years, 6 months ago
After playing a ton of SF4 just now, I had an idea for a game! It would be a first person version of street fighter, either with more realistic guns (i play as dhalsim ;p ), or with neat special moves, or maybe even some sort of upgrading move/weapon system, although the key of the game would be 1v1 on a smaller map with short times between the rounds and a good matchmaking system, sort of like sf4's 1v1 battles with short loads between rounds. Except in first person, probably with guns, and either in realistic mode like a modern warfare 2 1v1 mod with player rankings, possibly a subgame type in a fps like mw2, or alternatively a more cartoony version where players can take more damage and the weapons are a bit more spectacular, although probably with an emphasis on ranged combat over melee due to the first person perspective.

That being said, doing some sort of first person brawling/melee game might also be neat. One way to do it would be to have the sf4 source code and play normally with the camera fixed inside one of the characters heads, and go from there? Although making a first person brawling system does sound kind of tricky...ranged attacks seem to be a bit simpler in a lot of ways, although in first person it might be good to have the mouse look around as per a normal first person, with each mouse button controlling one arm, so left button is left arm, then there's a crosshair on the middle of the screen, and whatever body location is targetted is highlighted, so if it's centered on your opponent's head, cheek, eye, left hand, etc, that part lights up, and clicking the mouse attempts to move that limb to the highlighted location, which could be a moving location such as your opponent's hand for a block, and clicking while holding a weapon would attempt to fire the weapon at the highlighted target near the center of the screen. Click their head to punch or attack with a melee weapon, two handed weapons would just use one button, and foot movement could still be controlled with wasd in a traditional manner.
*-----------------------sig------------Visit my web site (Free source code and games!) @ http://SpaceRacer2025.blogspot.com--------------------------------------*
Advertisement
1st person melee has never really satisfied me. Hand-to-hand combat always feels clunky in that mode, because you're either preserving the view and making it feel robotic or making it feel fluid and constantly messing with the view. Oblivion or even Dark Messiah of Might & Magic had a robotic feel to them, while games like Mirror's Edge or Zeno Clash opt to model the viewpoint as the character spins and dives. In every case, the result is less than spectacular, although a lot of fun can be had in the meantime.

For my part, I'd recommend making a gun game with the view bound to player motion. That way, you get the visceral feel of being right there in the action, but when the action is heaviest, your view is useful at all times. The problem that you inevitably run into is peripheral vision. The screen just just show you everything you'd really see, and so you wind up spinning around and scanning from corner to corner to get the best view. If you're playing Quake or something, that's fine, your avatar just cycles animations while you play the role of a projectile-chucking mobile camera. In a more in-depth game, where you will want to be hunkering down behind a low wall or peeking around a corner, the number of motor operations involved in maintaining situational awareness becomes prohibitive.

The best example of really fun and intuitive--yet diverse--versus play would be the Splinter Cell spies vs. mercenaries paradigm. 1v1 fights with those sorts of varied play styles and complex tactical considerations can really lend itself to rewarding gameplay. Use Starcraft as your model. Offer options, but make sure that every available matchup is fun and fair.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement