deferred rendering and tesselation

Started by
12 comments, last by DarkChris 13 years, 6 months ago
You can always use Stream Out to reuse the tessellated vertices with different pixels shaders.
Although that may beat the point of using a tessellator, because it's main purpose is to increase geometry detail without memory bandwidth and cache inefficiency problems caused by large vertex buffers.
On the bright side, using stream out you're only using the VS once. The net benefit can only be found through experimentation

Cheers and good luck
Dark Sylinc
Advertisement
Quote:Original post by rouncED
I see it goes really fast, but the ambient occlusion isnt as good as mine, yours looks harder than raytraced, my image is a lot softer. But probably yours is more useful, cause who wants to play a game at 12fps at 640 480... i know... i know...

It's nothing that would replace your ambient occlusion. But it improves the way of how the ambient occlusion gets applied to the lighting. Mine uses a pretty shitty baked ambient occlusion map (Blender is so bad) and absolutely no SSAO or shadow mapping. The standard way would be to multiply the ambient occlusion with the lighting which is referred in my pictures as "standard ambient occlusion". This causes some areas to be unlittable even if a light directly shines onto these areas. And my SCAO not only solves this, it also adds dynamic soft shadows for an infinite amount of lights without the need for shadow maps. It in no way tries to outshine your AO technique, it would just make it more efficient in combination with real lights.
On a side Note:
Quote:
The standard way would be to multiply the ambient occlusion with the lighting

In general only the _ambient_ light is attenuated by _ambient_ occlusion (although I know there can be reasons to do it otherwise). What you are doing sounds like _directional_ occlusion for direct lighting. Here is a relatively recent screen space approach. Maybe it can help you to improve your method.
Quote:Original post by macnihilist
On a side Note:
Quote:
The standard way would be to multiply the ambient occlusion with the lighting

In general only the _ambient_ light is attenuated by _ambient_ occlusion (although I know there can be reasons to do it otherwise). What you are doing sounds like _directional_ occlusion for direct lighting. Here is a relatively recent screen space approach. Maybe it can help you to improve your method.

I know that ambient occlusion should only be applied to the ambient term. But that just doesn't make any sense from a physical standpoint. It gets even worse when the graphics heavily rely on directional lights and mostly have no ambient term. This is what bothered me and so I came up with my technique that is able to apply it to all lights without having these problems. By the way, thx for the paper. Since I'm currently looking into improving it by adding some kind of global / self illumination to it, the paper comes in handy :)

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement