how to make game modable

Started by
4 comments, last by KahunaCoder 13 years, 5 months ago
Hi all,
I would like to know how to make my game modable, and or make my game a mode of the
game helper/engine Like half life,
Any sugestions/ideas are welcome.

Never say Never, Because Never comes too soon. - ryan20fun

Disclaimer: Each post of mine is intended as an attempt of helping and/or bringing some meaningfull insight to the topic at hand. Due to my nature, my good intentions will not always be plainly visible. I apologise in advance and assure you I mean no harm and do not intend to insult anyone.

Advertisement
Add scripting support, like Lua. Map/World Editor for custom levels, these are good start :)
I second the use of scripting languages. For my current project, I'm using C++ for the engine and Lua for all the level sequences and AI code. It's funny, being a sole indie game developer on this project has forced me to deal with art and level design and NOT just programming. What I've found is that when I'm wearing my artists cap or level designer cap I'm able to build complete, scripted levels as well as create and import the art from start to finish without ever touching the C++ source.

So yes, as for modability, with scripting support your users would never have to see the C++ (or java or whatever) underlying code as you could control all game details in external scripts.
I'm currently starting to make my own scripting language for my game,
But I might use lua instead if I figoure it out.

Disclaimer: Each post of mine is intended as an attempt of helping and/or bringing some meaningfull insight to the topic at hand. Due to my nature, my good intentions will not always be plainly visible. I apologise in advance and assure you I mean no harm and do not intend to insult anyone.

Question
Any idea on how to create new entitys with a scripting lanuage?
And how would I do this for my scripting language?

Quote:Original post by ryan20fun
Question
Any idea on how to create new entitys with a scripting lanuage?
And how would I do this for my scripting language?

From my limited experience and knowledge, you would need to create an interface between your script language and your code. If you have a script function called CreateEntity or something like that, the definition of that script will call a function written in code that will instantiate that entity for you.

[Edited by - KahunaCoder on October 20, 2010 6:25:19 PM]

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement