Sign in to follow this  
theodore italik

[web] storing highscores

Hi,

I've been tricking around with HTML5's canvas and some javascript to make a snake clone, I'd like to be able to store the high scores but I'm not sure how to do it. A few links I've found online all refer to using a mysql database hosted on a server. I have access to a unix server to host my game but I don't have access to any databases. Would it be feasible to use XML?

I'd really appreciate any tips or advice.

Thanks,

Theodore

This is an excellent use for a cookie (for single users). If you want high scores for EVERYBODY,you certainly don't need a database for that. Just store the results in a tab-delimited text file. Manipulate the text file with a server-side script of your choice (PHP, Perl, shell...). Trigger the server-side script to run with a simple AJAX query.

I know this is [i]months [/i]after my original post, and I had intended to reply sooner but I totally forgot.

What I ended up doing was going with a local high score so that the player is only trying to beat their own score each time rather than a global score board.

I used local storage that I'd read up on in [url="http://www.developria.com/2010/11/html5-recipes-storage-101.html"]this tutorial[/url] and it worked really well.