Sign in to follow this  
Si1ver

My 3D programming language

Si1ver    114
Hi,

I am currently developing a 3d specific-purpose programming language to compete with existing products such as DarkBasic and BlitzBasic. My mission is to give non-experienced programmers the power to develop commercial viable games.

It is aimed at beginners, so I would be grateful of suggestions regarding syntax, constructs, features etc. My goal is to keep the syntax as intuitive as possible. The language is still very simple. For example, the following code will compile a simple 3d game. I hope it is obvious what it does:

WINDOW 800 600

camera = CAMERA

box = BOX
ball = SPHERE

POSITION box 0 0 0

POSITION camera 0 -1 0
POINT camera 0 0 0

GAME_LOOP
IF GET_Z camera > -10 AND GET_X camera = 0 THEN
MOVE_BACK camera -0.1
ELSE
EXIT_LOOP
END_IF
END_LOOP

COMMAND MOVE_BACK entity y
MOVE entity 0 y 0
END_COMMAND

Capitalised tokens are treated as commands. For example, the command BOX will create and return a box mesh. A command sucks in (as arguments) all the tokens proceeding it, until either a new line is hit, or a different command is found. GAME_LOOP is also treated as a command, but different rules apply.

I need feedback, especially from beginners who have never programmed in 3D before. Would you feel comfortable using such a language?

Kind regards,

Silver

[Edited by - Si1ver on October 16, 2010 3:52:54 PM]

EricRRichards    109
Quote:
GAME_LOOP
MOVE_BACK camera -0.1
ELSE
EXIT_LOOP
END_IF
END_LOOP

Is it possible to indent this, so as to get some sense of the structure, like so?

GAME_LOOP
MOVE_BACK camera -0.1
ELSE
EXIT_LOOP
END_IF
END_LOOP

Reminds me a little bit of the QBASIC I did when I was first starting out programming...