Sign in to follow this  
Idov

SymInitialize returns "INVALID HANDLE"

Idov    210
Hi!
I'm trying to get symbols of a process using "SymGetSymFromAddr64"
but before that, when i try to initialize the whole thing with "SymInitialize(m_processHandle, NULL, TRUE)" I get error code 6 (invalid handle)

which is pretty strange because just before that I get this handle from "CreateProcessA" and I even double-checked that the handle refers to my process
with "GetProcessId"...
does anybody know what could be the problem?

Nik02    4348
Since loading symbols for a given process is an usual thing for a debugger to do, I assume that you're writing some kind of a debugger.

Quoting from the docs:

Quote:

If the application is a debugger, use the process handle for the process being debugged. Do not use the handle returned by GetCurrentProcess when debugging another process, because calling functions like SymLoadModuleEx can have unexpected results.

Does your project follow this guideline?

Idov    210
Quote:
Original post by Nik02
Since loading symbols for a given process is an usual thing for a debugger to do, I assume that you're writing some kind of a debugger.

Quoting from the docs:

Quote:

If the application is a debugger, use the process handle for the process being debugged. Do not use the handle returned by GetCurrentProcess when debugging another process, because calling functions like SymLoadModuleEx can have unexpected results.

Does your project follow this guideline?

yes :(

Nik02    4348
Is the target process separate from the process in which you call SymInitialize, though? If it is, have you checked that you have debug privileges to the target?