8-Bit Commando

Started by
10 comments, last by dopeman 12 years, 9 months ago
Hi. I'd love to get some feedback on our latest game, called 8-Bit Commando.
1b.jpg 2b.jpg3b.jpg

8-Bit Commando is a run and gun platformer with fast-paced action, a rocking soundtrack and explosions. The graphics will take you back to the classic age of gaming and the gameplay is bound to challenge even the most seasoned vets. (Gameplay Video)

Download

[Edited by - dopeman on October 17, 2010 3:03:36 AM]
Advertisement
I keep dying lol, i suck at these games. No health huh?

I don't know if the AI is buggy or not, but are those people that keep running at me supposed to keep running when i jump out of their way? And one of these runners eventually gets stuck at the right wall if i don't kill him..

Also, how do you toggle between weapons?
"Spending your life waiting for the messiah to come save the world is like waiting around for the straight piece to come in Tetris...even if it comes, by that time you've accumulated a mountain of shit so high that you're fucked no matter what you do. "
Cool game but I couldn't get very far and eventually lost interest, probably just shows that I'm not very good.

One thing I would say is the weapons all seem to do the same damage so I don't see any advantage to any different weapon, especially the rockets which seem exactly the same as your starting gun.

Good work anyway.

"To know the road ahead, ask those coming back."

Thanks a lot for the feedback. I've tried to take into account in version 0.1.3. Changes include:
-enemies take less hits to die
-continue points so you don't have to start from the beginning of the level
-improved powerup sprites (plus a cheesy announcer voice tells you what each powerup is)
-less inertial effects on the player
-the granades are more powerful

The demo of the first level can be downloaded at:
http://2dengine.com/commando/

Also, here's a sneak peek at the second level (which is still in the works):
4b.jpg5b.jpg
Ahhhhh. Is this like a Contra-clone? (I'm at working can't try it). I was expecting a Bionic Commando clone, based on the title of the thread. It's very cooling looking though.

Beginner in Game Development?  Read here. And read here.

Looking at the screen shots, you need some color variety within the levels and enemies. The tank and level, in the first set of screen shots, are dull and drab. The second levels looks a lot better, but still needs some color variations with the trees, mountains, and train.

I understand you're going for a classic gaming feel. But, this reminds me of a Spectrum game; which wasn't cutting edge during it's life.

Check out Super Play, the SNES inspired Game Engine: http://www.superplay.info

The second level looks a lot better, especially if there's movement and parallax scrolling as you're fighting over the train cars. The first level wasn't great. As I commented on your youtube channel, it's just kind of flat. It could really use a backdrop and some color. But keep going, I'd love to see the second level in action.
Hi. Yes, thanks the next levels will have more color in the them, it's just the first level is supposed to be a nuclear powerplant or whatever so we went for a bit of a gray/concrete look.

I'd also like to mention that version 0.1.5 is out.
New features include:
-Co-op mode (play with a friend if you have a joystick attached to your computer)
-Loading screen
-Basic storyline via the mission select screen
-New boss fight in level 1 (you're now fighting a nuclear reactor instead of a tank which is more appropriate I think)
-Improved the rockets powerup (rockets now home in on nearby enemies)
-Improved granades powerup (greater blast ranger)
-Numerous gameplay and enemy AI tweaks
-Numerous graphical/sound tweaks
-WASD control available in addition to the arrow keys
-Options screen that saves your settings (you can play the game in widescreen!)

Download is available at: http://2dengine.com/commando/
7b.jpg 9b.jpg

Hey everybody, I'm excited to announce that a new public beta is out! This version includes an online hiscore and many new features:

download beta 0.2.1

The final version of the game is almost ready. All feedback is much appreciated.
What I think is real cool about it is that you can shoot up or down regardless of pillars. It makes it more difficult and easier at the same time.

Game Music Life

Because Game Music Is Life

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement