Sign in to follow this  
technoshaman

City-building game idea

I have an idea for a city building for social network like Social City and City of Wonder but doing in as scifi genre. The decision I have to decide now is what sub-genre to do in the game? I have ideas but which one: Cyberpunk, Space Colony type or Post-apocalyptic setting.

What's the difference between the three settings, other than the look of buildings and the names of items, actions, skills, and so on?
Is there some cyberpunk, space colony or post-apocalyptic attitude or theme that can be deeply ingrained in the game rules, like waiting for stuff to grow in Farmville?

The choice of sub-genra is about the gamply and style that players will expect.

Cyberpunk: Players will expect to have intrigue and stealth type gample where you might try to sabotage and enemy build, or steal reasearch plans and such. Player will also expect an aliance system which give them the ability to use coersion and other forms of manipulation to force other players to co-operate. There should be a healthy level of mistrust between players.

Space Colony: Players will expect less intrigue (however there will still be some), but focus more on trading and economic co-operation (loans, etc). Ways to negativly interact with other players would be through piracy and strategic military strikes, but most of the gameplay will be more positive than a cyberpunk style game.

Post-apocalyptic: Players will expect a more negative feel than a Space Colony, but not as underhanded as in a Cyberpunk style game. There won't be as much co-operation, but there will still be trading (but usually it won't be for money) and this will probably be the majority of interaction between players as loans and other economic actions won't be as prevalent. Luxuries will be rareer than in other sub-genras and will also be much harder to produce (as the people are supposed to be struggeling for survival). Raids (pirates) will be more common, but there will be less organised military actions.

So the different sub-genras have certain preconceptions based on other media (not just games, but books, movies, pen and paper RPGs, etc) and the gameplay will need to reflect these expectations.

Dr. Mad's city ^^
Let the player raise monsters with money
Earn money by build city buildings
Get EXP by sending monsters to destroy other cities or defending their own city (not accurately destroying - won't affect the one who defending).

For me, the sub-genre or background story are not something to be mattered too early ^^ Cyber Punk = Power Claw + Rocket Launchers; Space Colony = Laser Sword + Laser Gun; Post-apocalytic = Bayonet + Normal Rifle - that's it.

When you built up a good main concept of gameplay, i think you can choose the most suitable sub-genre very easily.