• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
hjfyyy

OpenGL Texturing about the 3ds file loading with OpenGL

This topic is 2803 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hi, everyone.
This is a noble problem. I use OpenGL to loader 3ds file which is a helicopter model. And the texture images are also loading correctly. But some textures are displayed normally, some are disappeared. So is there any extra information about the relation between a face and its material? Any ideas will be appreciated. Hope to make myself clear.
Here is my rendering code:

tMaterial *mat;
t3DObject *obj;
int *index;

for (int nOfObj=0; nOfObj<m_pModel->numOfObjects; nOfObj++)
{
obj = &m_pModel->pObject[nOfObj];
for (int nOfFace=0; nOfFace<obj->numOfFaces; nOfFace++)
{
index = obj->pFaces[nOfFace].vertIndex;
mat = &m_pModel->pMaterials[obj->pFaces[nOfFace].matID];
if (mat->isTexMat) // If the corresponding face has texture
{
glEnable(GL_TEXTURE_2D);
glBindTexture(GL_TEXTURE_2D, mat->texureId);
glColor3ub(mat->color[0], mat->color[1], mat->color[2]);
// Render the triangles
glBegin(GL_TRIANGLES);
glTexCoord2f(obj->pTexVerts[index[0]].x,obj->pTexVerts[index[0]].y);
glNormal3f(obj->pNormals[index[0]].x,obj->pNormals[index[0]].y,obj->pNormals[index[0]].z);
glVertex3f(obj->pVerts[index[0]].x, obj->pVerts[index[0]].y, obj->pVerts[index[0]].z);

glTexCoord2f(obj->pTexVerts[index[1]].x,obj->pTexVerts[index[1]].y);
glNormal3f(obj->pNormals[index[1]].x,obj->pNormals[index[1]].y,obj->pNormals[index[1]].z);
glVertex3f(obj->pVerts[index[1]].x, obj->pVerts[index[1]].y, obj->pVerts[index[1]].z);

glTexCoord2f(obj->pTexVerts[index[2]].x,obj->pTexVerts[index[2]].y);
glNormal3f(obj->pNormals[index[2]].x,obj->pNormals[index[2]].y,obj->pNormals[index[2]].z);
glVertex3f(obj->pVerts[index[2]].x, obj->pVerts[index[2]].y, obj->pVerts[index[2]].z);
glEnd();
}
else // Has no texture
{
glDisable(GL_TEXTURE_2D);
glColor3ub(mat->color[0], mat->color[1], mat->color[2]);
glBegin(GL_TRIANGLES);
glNormal3f(obj->pNormals[index[0]].x,obj->pNormals[index[0]].y,obj->pNormals[index[0]].z);
glVertex3f(obj->pVerts[index[0]].x, obj->pVerts[index[0]].y, obj->pVerts[index[0]].z);

glNormal3f(obj->pNormals[index[1]].x,obj->pNormals[index[1]].y,obj->pNormals[index[1]].z);
glVertex3f(obj->pVerts[index[1]].x, obj->pVerts[index[1]].y, obj->pVerts[index[1]].z);

glNormal3f(obj->pNormals[index[2]].x,obj->pNormals[index[2]].y,obj->pNormals[index[2]].z);
glVertex3f(obj->pVerts[index[2]].x, obj->pVerts[index[2]].y, obj->pVerts[index[2]].z);
glEnd();
}
}
}

The pointer m_pModel is the helicopter model loaded from a .3ds file.

Advertisement
I searched google, and found that there was different versions of codes loading 3ds file, but none worked correctly. Their differents mainly lay on the material chunk. One links a material with an object, and another links a material with a face of an object. Any way, they all can't make the all of textures display normally. Any suggestions?
Best Regards.

I tried Lib3ds, but still the problem hasn't been solved yet. Anyone who has dealt with such problems before, please give me a way. Thanks.
Best wishes

I debugged the detail information of the 3ds object returned by Lib3ds loading functions, and found that the faces whose textures hadn't been displayed normally had a bump_map member which was a file name of a image file, so I searched bump mapping in OpenGL , knowing there existed a technique named Bump mapping. Then I applied this technique, but unfortunately, still the texture has not shown. Any one know other causes?
Best Regards
Hu Jingfei

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

Participate in the game development conversation and more when you create an account on GameDev.net!

Sign me up!