Can some one recommend me a book about Game Engine design for begineer?

Started by
5 comments, last by LionMX 13 years, 6 months ago
I'm currently trying to develop a Game Engine as my portifolio project.

But I've never done such things before.
I can use Ogl and DX11, and am fimilar with the mordern GPU pipeline.

As to the scene management and other high-level techniques..I dont know very much..

Can anyone recommend a good book?
I just want to finish my engine within a year, from ground up..Is that possible..
Advertisement
I've recently borrowed "Game Engine Architecture" by Jason Gregory from my school's library and I must say that it is an awesome book on the subject.

I would recommend starting with that
-Jawshttp://uploading.com/files/eff2c24d/TGEpre.zip/
Okay..I think so too.
It's seems it's suitable for begineer.

I want to implement my Engine in GL(I assume we use Gl or Dx as the basis of our engine). Does that book cover how to implement or just sheer theory with no sample code??
Game Coding Complete is a good book on overall engine design. It's Windows/DirectX centric, though.
I can also recommend "Game Engine Architecture". It might be a little more low level than you need at some points though. About your question, it does have some code snippets inside the book, but does not come with any code (it's not needed in the case of that book though). It does not really talk about DX or GL specific stuff at all but rather about how to implement and connect all the needed subsystems like renderer, gameobjects, scene managment, ai, physics, animation and so on!
Quote:Original post by evolutional
Game Coding Complete is a good book on overall engine design. It's Windows/DirectX centric, though.

I would recommend this book too, i have had this book for many years however i have an old version. Make sure you get the current edition as they quickly go out of date, mine still refers to directx 8 and windows XP.
Quote:Original post by braindigitalis
Quote:Original post by evolutional

I would recommend this book too, i have had this book for many years however i have an old version. Make sure you get the current edition as they quickly go out of date, mine still refers to directx 8 and windows XP.

I too recommend this book. You wont have a game engine by the time you finish reading the last page but you will have a plethora of re-usable code that will help you create good games.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement