How i made a profiler by CHEATING

Started by
22 comments, last by Scrut 13 years, 6 months ago
Hello welcome to another one of my lovely threads. I will refrain from bad language, spelling\grammar(i will make some mistakes as i am so bad at this), and inappropriate language. I did not go crazy with the profiler, it works so biggidy bam! good to go!!! cmon lets do this seriously! Now to the Point! Please take me seriously and at least read the next part i want some feed back on my, nothing special, but simple profiler that works for everything i need atm.

First this is the cheat, and I say cheat because it cheats built in language security of classes protected\private functionality, that I used to make my profiler possable. The rest of my system is like ok; its another profiler what ever, but personally i did this because its used in a system where it MUST NOT KNOW the type it is contained in. Otherwise i would not go to the trouble, although for code reuse its fine. Ok here is how i let my profiler gain access to the profiler sample of any object in my engine\modules\game. Platform::u64 btw is a unsigned 64bit simple data type, declaration was encapsulated by Platform namespace(just posting my code exactly as it is sorry if its weird i ALWAYS do my own basic data types and never use data containers\interface\whatever directly but typedef my own types that i need to use them for end user\me\its just plain safer and looks cleaner plus the data type itself contains more information saying so much more why not)
#define SCRUT_PROFILERSAMPLE_INTERFACE_DECLARATION private: Scrut_ProfiledObject_AccessGrant m_sScrut_ProfiledObject_AccessGrant; public:class   CProfilerSample;typedef            ProfilerSample*              ProfilerSamplePointer;typedef std::list< ProfilerSamplePointer >      ProfilerSampleList;typedef            ProfilerSampleList::iterator ProfilerSampleIterator;struct  Scrut_ProfiledObject_AccessGrant;typedef            Scrut_ProfiledObject_AccessGrant*              Scrut_ProfiledObject_ProfilerSamplePointer;typedef std::list< Scrut_ProfiledObject_AccessGrantPointer >      Scrut_ProfiledObject_AccessGrantList;typedef            Scrut_ProfiledObject_AccessGrantList::iterator Scrut_ProfiledObject_AccessGrantIterator;struct Scrut_ProfiledObject_AccessGrant {    Scrut_ProfiledObject_AccessGrantPointer m_pstParentObject;    Scrut_ProfiledObject_AccessGrantList m_tpstNestedObject;    ProfilerSampleList m_tpProfilerSampleTable;    Scrut_ProfilerSample_CreateList();    Scrut_ProfilerSample_DestroyList();    Scrut_ProfilerSample_Register( Platform::u64, ProfilerSamplePointer );    Scrut_ProfilerSample_Obtain( Platform::u64 );};

Then inside the Scrut::System::CProfilerSample declaration i place SCRUT_PROFILERSAMPLE_INTERFACE_DECLARATION like so at the beginning. MUST BE AT BEGINNING so its does not run time error on ya. I assume the structure in memory will offset the memory address of say your object by 0. You can NEVER know the offset if this if it was after a section of data sense it does not know the objects its working with so they might just throw in another 32 bit variable and WAM addresses change. This should be very obvious sorry, this design is all soooooooo simple and i made it to be just 5 seconds of coding to get most reward in the end. AUTO_SIZE just declares and defines the implementation of functionality to take the size of your object, should be obvious but not needed for this class in particular just included for fullness and making everything uniform and its meant for a designed system, which i will not show you currently because i am writing up the past already, to be able to function and could not without it not going into it as u need not know my engine i am using at this current moment on such a lovely day. Again only included to keep what i have coded and what posted identical.

class CProfilerSample {SCRUT_PROFILERSAMPLE_INTERFACE_DECLARATIONAUTO_SIZE

Do the same with every object in your program and u can profile every method of your implementation, sorry not included declarations so u can profiler functions. I wanted to get some feedback on the design in the way of how i made it able to work with objects that it cant know anything about as far as type identification. And i do not wanna make a uniform interface for all objects and do more polymorphism when i have a uniform object interface for all objects at another layer so i refuse(u cant make me wanna try!?!?!) make a uniform interface for a uniform interface.

Other part i will explain is really helpful on how it initializes at start of your methods\function. a Macro is used to declare a CProfilerSamplePointer and initialize its value. it just check if a method with that identifier for that particular Scrut::System::CProfilerSample is already on the parent's CProfilerSampleList within the Scrut::System::Scrut_ProfiledObject_AccessGrant structer if not it allocates one initializes it and pass it back, if it is in the list then it just passes back the current instance of that particular Scrut::System::CProfilerSample. also have a macro for the footer of your function at the very end of everything u wanna profile which when profiling functions and all that good stuff i pretty much leave this after every last line of code contain in that function.

and here is the rest of what i will go into now. just ask and ill explain the rest if you want but this i am explaining to much and sure this is prob just the opposite of elite so u do not need to tell me "hey this is not state of the art!" because yes i know i came up with this in 5 seconds and coded it in 5 seconds so its prob gimp. But here is the rest for now.

more macros exists, made it simplistic, for the purpose of being referenced and placed inside the objects constructor where it creates one Scrut::System::CProfilerSample for the object by default. You have one sample that has the information per object then the following samples in the std:list are place by the flow and order of there execution at run time so u then have statistics about whats this or that function did then u have the summations of all the data processed into one representation. but u must pass every object declared in that object too the macro system adding them to the Scrut::System::Scrut_ProfiledObject_AccessGrant::m_tpstNestedObject list and during this it just happens to also obviously u can guess it sets the Scrut::System::Scrut_ProfiledObject_AccessGrant::m_pstParentObject to the value of this sense this is done inside the parent objects constructor but not inside the children(nested objects), aka jumping execution(calling a function or procedure) and doing it a stupid way like passing the parent object's memory address or value of "this" as a argument to the subset. I built the tree so you can very easy without doing weird code watch the values during debug but also so i can make my life easier as i did not want to have this interact with my stream system which would let you not make the tree in memory at run time to print the values. This setup allows me to traverse the tree up and down where ever i need to go plus you need to know your parent so if you took x ms execution time with your current sample then you must update your parent with this new information so it actually works and not just useless functionality for no reason.

Ok well already spent more time writing this than i spent on the profiler WOW. Well anyways tell me what you guys think, and yes i expect well you should of done it this way your going to get this manifestation or error and your a noob. But hey all is well so here you go. Want any more info feel free to ask i will jump straight over to you and get you where you need to go as if you need help with a profiler(simplest things really so easy anyone can do it) i explain what ever i can also give you a version that excludes all the extra functionality so u can learn what your doing which actually i do not see happening as this stuff is really 100% straight beginner level.

[Edited by - Scrut on October 17, 2010 12:04:15 PM]
Advertisement
sorry wanted to be full. when it comes to passing values along making them able to interact with external systems and objects so for example u can PRINT them you can with, no thinking at all, so there must be more ways, use a simple stream or make ur own stream object what you want to call it, i believe there is a turoail on this site that uses a logger, but abstractly just go with the builder pattern i say(not sure if you see why but i like the builder pattern ever sense i learned it and i was using it all the time and din not know there was these name for this stuff)
So...

class CProfilerSample : private Foo, public virtual Base, public virtual Bar, Baz {SCRUT_PROFILERSAMPLE_INTERFACE_DECLARATIONAUTO_SIZE

So... At what offset is the profiling thingamajig now?
Not where the code expects it, most probably.

To make it is hell. To fail is divine.

sorry but my design does not use any inheritance when i declared the class for your profiler samples. that actually is not how this is meant to be used so i will post later if you are serious(i hope your not because that would make me worry about your mental state) and help u out with your foobar or what ever u called it along with the rest design and what are you trying to do. it sounds like your asking me how c++(sorry i should of been explicit) objects when working with inheritance and less with the design of a profiler.... i mean are you serious because that just looks like a joke i am sorry but will not fuel any jokes as my last thread was serious and yet just non sense feedback(except for i think two post which i really enjoyed reading) but closed after it got going, and left the ground, and closed by moderator(he thought i was full of it)
and also btw really that wouldnt work not possible u are trying to make me look like a idea i believe
You have been told about your use of language on this forum; consider this a formal warning.
also if you looked at the code u would of seen an error wouldnt compile i change the look of it and messed it up, i really do not know my audience so i will assume worst case scenario and u will take the littlest mistake as this is not worth our time.
I will be honest; You never got to the point of how you "cheated" to make a profiler.

I had a hard time understand what you were meaning in EVERY paragraph. No introduction or anything explaining how you achieved this feat.
o man i said something bad o man sorry so bad its just slipped out actually was not intentional and i hope i did not offend anyone. will be the last you ever see. sorry but im just ridin dirty and i am just Sippin' on some siz-erp, sip, sippin' on some, sip. what yall trippin bout, we straight thuggs.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement