New programmer need help

Started by
14 comments, last by mrwonko 13 years, 6 months ago
Aight man! I am downloading C# 2010 version and C++ 2010 version.

I will do as you guys say cus i all the time thought it was a diferent language for C and C++ you made me pretty much understand thanks!
Advertisement
Quote:Original post by Smultron
Aight man! I am downloading C# 2010 version and C++ 2010 version.

I will do as you guys say cus i all the time thought it was a diferent language for C and C++ you made me pretty much understand thanks!
I've said this before and I'll say it again: While a C++ compiler can compile most C code a C++ program will look almost completely different from a C program. It's more like the difference between modern English and Shakespearean English. I mean just look at these 'hello world's:
C:
#include <stdio.h>int main(){  printf("Hello World");  return 0;}
C++
#include <iostream>int main(){  std::cout << "Hello World";  return 0;}
That's one of the simplest programs you can write and it just gets more and more different the more complex of a program you write. Because of these differences people sometimes talk about "C with Classes" for programs that were clearly written by C programmers who add a little C++ here and there like it were a garnish instead of treating C++ as the main course it can be.

C++: A Dialog | C++0x Features: Part1 (lambdas, auto, static_assert) , Part 2 (rvalue references) , Part 3 (decltype) | Write Games | Fix Your Timestep!

Don't learn C++. Don't learn C# either, although it is a better choice than C++. Learn Python, it's simpler, and it's got an interactive interpreter that gives you instant feedback. Maybe you know this since you've tried some. It's also more fun, you can be more productive, etc. Don't think you have to pick what everyone else uses. Weren't you told "Don't listen to everything you hear" when you were a child?
I started learning c++ from start and I found it quite hard but it takes me a while to learn things in general.

Really programming is about concepts and problem solving, it does not really matter what language you start off with,

The easiest thing I've worked with though is c# and XNA because XNA gives you loads of help and it is really well supported with tutorials and things.

Good luck!

"To know the road ahead, ask those coming back."

Hello everyone, im new on here as well.. Im doing Computer Engineering, entered my second year, and im quite familiar with the very basics of both C and C++. Im able to understand and handle concepts like classes and inheritance, overloading operators etc. pretty well now.

My question is, what now? Now that I know the very basics, where should i be moving to? Should I try and make games already? If yes, where is the best place that will help me start off exploiting my knowledge in the field of game programming?

Any help in this regard is very much appreciated :)
Quote:Original post by krash
Hello everyone, im new on here as well.. Im doing Computer Engineering, entered my second year, and im quite familiar with the very basics of both C and C++. Im able to understand and handle concepts like classes and inheritance, overloading operators etc. pretty well now.

My question is, what now? Now that I know the very basics, where should i be moving to? Should I try and make games already? If yes, where is the best place that will help me start off exploiting my knowledge in the field of game programming?

Any help in this regard is very much appreciated :)

I'd say go and make games.

I think you shouldn't worry about learning about initializing windows, doing input or OpenGL/DirectX for now. I recommend instead using SFML which abstracts all that away and has some nice tutorials for getting started. With it you don't need to worry about how to set up a window etc., you just say: "I want a window of size X, Y" and you get one. (You can always learn those things later, if you feel like you need to.)

You can then start writing little games, for example Pong. You said you know about classes. Think about the objects you have in Pong. Think about their interaction etc. This shouldn't be too hard for Pong and you should be able to do it. Feel free to ask for help if you need any, though.

And once you've got Pong, you can start with something bigger. Not much bigger, be reasonable.

Oh, and I think maybe you should've created a new thread for this.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement