New programmer need help

Started by
14 comments, last by mrwonko 13 years, 6 months ago
Hey guys i just got into your forum, so far its good i don't know if its active though that many forums about development isn't. Well lets get to the point..

I think i will try learn develop games with C++ cus i heard most of the greatest or biggest games are made with that. Now i wonder where to start where do i find the basics of the language and when i learned the basic what game should i start making. And how do i learn how to make it cus i don't think i will learn too much by just Copy and paste from blogs and forums i find.. Please help me and get me more involved into this.
Advertisement
First learn a language then worry about making games. Learning C++ as your first language is going to be tough and not many people recommend it. But you can find all the resources you need by typing "C++ tutorials" on Google :)
"Spending your life waiting for the messiah to come save the world is like waiting around for the straight piece to come in Tetris...even if it comes, by that time you've accumulated a mountain of shit so high that you're fucked no matter what you do. "
I am not exactly new to whole programming i have been working alot with Visual basic and just little with Python but with C++ i just finished the ''Hello world'' project once.. But is there just a large description like a whole page with all the commands to program with and a small discription what it is used for?
Well, i just assumed you're new when i read the title which says.. new programmer..

Anyway, for a list of commands Google gave me this : Clicky

I don't think it'd do you much good though, c++ is a complicated language and i really think you should get a book or at least follow a decent online tutorial
"Spending your life waiting for the messiah to come save the world is like waiting around for the straight piece to come in Tetris...even if it comes, by that time you've accumulated a mountain of shit so high that you're fucked no matter what you do. "
I've got time to learn the language don't worry if i'd do good or not just whant to start learn it its never too late. And thanks for the help i will try find a youtube tutorial or something
I would say start with a couple of books/tutorials, as far as books are concerned I was unlucky person who started his programming with C++ and even though the learning curve is rough for a first programming language its nice to learn C++ because every language after that feels like its a million times easier than C++. The book that I started with (first class in Computer Science course) was this:

http://www.amazon.com/Problem-Solving-Object-Programming-Fifth/dp/0321268652/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1287347130&sr=1-1

This book was a great learning experience and I read it front to back and did all the programming projects from each chapter and I have to say all of that was very helpful. It doesn't go through any thorough pointer programming but the basics are covered very well.

Good Luck!
learning C++ before C is going to be very difficult and frustrating.

and the tutorials can get confusing.

I would recommend you learn C - there is a great online tutorial that I did and recommend:

http://computer.howstuffworks.com/c.htm

once your comfortable with programming you can try games with C using something like allegro, or you can learn C++ straight after

or even learn C# after, but I personally think learning and starting with C is simple and valuable.
I recommend these 2 books

Accelerated C++, Practical Programming By Example, Andrew Koenig/Barabara E. Moo

and

Beggining C++ through Game Programming, Second Edition, Michael Dawson

Go through Book #1 first then #2 (#2 I found simpler but also a different way of thinking), you should have a good understanding of the Standard Library by the end of it, then afterwards for Game Programming/DirectX I recommend going to the site - http://www.directxtutorial.com/ ; you might want to use the DirectX9 tutorials.

Or if you want OpenGL, go for http://nehe.gamedev.net :) (Might be a bit outdated though but a good point still)

anyhow cheers and good luck
Could some one explain what makes C easier to learn than C++ and you said i can learn C then straight go to C++ do you mean its the same language?

And those books i have to buy right? What store or web page?
well think of it this way, C came first, then later came C++, bareing it's name.

C++ can be thought of as an extension of C, it added on to the language, and gave birth to object oriented programming (OOP).

the result is a big language which you can easily lose yourself in if you are learning to program in C.

All the concepts you learn in C are applicable in C++, where a few new concepts are introduced. But to understand the potential benefits C++ gives, you need to know C.

you can write anything in C that you can in C++.

you can of course if you wish learn C++ straight away without C, however i'm certain you will be overwhelmed quickly. But if you can do it, good for you.

whereas if you know C, you won't get overwhelmed and will understand the benefits C++ gives, although they may be unnecessary and you may wish to stick with plain C.

I also have a personal bias toward C for newcomers because of the documentation, I find the C tutorials best, whereas the C++ tutorials mostly assume C knowledge.

the link I posted above on C I can't recommend enough and will make you a C programmer. There are of course plenty of other tutorials on the web. You don't need to go out and buy books for either language, but you can if you wish.

EDIT: to answer your question, C++ is a different language than C, but it is a modified C. and although newer, C++ is not "better" than C, it depends on what you prefer personally and if you like using OOP more.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement