Sign in to follow this  
Khaiy

OpenGL or SFML Graphics?

I'm learning SFML to use with my game projects, namely 2D RPGs and 4x space games (for now). I know that SFML has a graphics package that can be used for 2D, but I was wondering if OpenGL might be better for 2D anyhow.

Does anyone know some of the relative strengths and weaknesses of OpenGL and the SFML graphics package for 2D sprite and effect animation?

Quote:
Original post by Khaiy
I'm learning SFML to use with my game projects, namely 2D RPGs and 4x space games (for now). I know that SFML has a graphics package that can be used for 2D, but I was wondering if OpenGL might be better for 2D anyhow.

Does anyone know some of the relative strengths and weaknesses of OpenGL and the SFML graphics package for 2D sprite and effect animation?

You can do everything with SFML a typical 2d game requires grapically. On top of that it's a hell of a lot easier, and possibly even faster.
I would only recommend OpenGL for doing research in 3d graphics, nothing else.

IIRC SFML uses OpenGL under the hood. But SFML AFAIK is 2D library, while OpenGL can give you full 3D. Also even if you use OpenGL for 3D you will need input handler, window handler etc, and SFML can give you that. So those 2 libraries can work together very well.

It really depends on what you want to do. SFML is fine for moving sprites around, but if you want more than that I think you'll need something more. I don't know all the features of SFML, but from the time that I spent with it I didn't see any kind of support for anything like advanced effects or animation.

It's great for drawing sprites I guess, but if you want anything advanced (shader effects for example) I think you'll need to dive into the OpenGL for a bit.

Fortunately SFML and OpenGL can be used together so you can combine the best of both if you need to.