question about building a game.

Started by
4 comments, last by owiley 13 years, 6 months ago
Well I will start off this post by saying, bash away I know it's going to happen with what I'm about to ask so I won't mind being flamed and bashed about this question. I do ask that you read the entire post before you just read the question and shoot from the hip on an answer.

My question is this. Based on the amount of MMO's and RPG games out there currently in development, everyone wanting to be the next Blizzard Entertainment. What are the odds of getting together decent team to build a RPG / MMO game?

A little bit of background before you answer this. I'm a college student working on my degree in Game Development. I've made a couple of games using XNA and have learned a little java and alot of the c++. However I've not made any games using those languages. My full time job is a server support agent for a web hosting company, so i know a few web languages (PHP, HTML, XML) I've also got a good grasp on MySQL.

I get a strong feeling I'll have to do alot of the work myself which sucks to be honest because I'm not sure if I'm doing everything right, but in programming that's always the case.

Anyways what do you all think on something like this?
Advertisement
[link]http://mmohut.com/[/link]
[link]http://www.freemmorpglist.com/[/link]

I mean someone is making all these games even though you never really hear about any of them. So making an MMO if you are not a huge multi-million dollar company is within the realm of possibility.....given enough time. You know, the things about monkeys with typewriters and all...
Quote:I've made a couple of games using XNA

That's probably the best part.

You'll need a lot of content, so you probably won't have resources for any sort of animation. But that can be made to work. Remember Civilization 2? Perfectly enjoyable.

Just try to make something interesting.

I just wrote a "simple" file shuffler, database server and thin client in Java and C++. It took over a month. Use every tool and kit you can and constrain your specs.

Then you can get it down to just a few people to make a game that is playable by a large number of players online.

Will it sell? Will it be a hit? Will there ever be more than 10 players on at once? Since you had to ask such a question, I'll say no, so just don't worry about all that crap.
Quote:Original post by turlisk
What are the odds of getting together decent team to build a RPG / MMO game?

Not very good. Want to ask a different question now?

-- Tom Sloper -- sloperama.com

Using Unity3D for the client and SmartFoxServer or Photon for the server could make the development of such a beast feasible.
But, I suspect there is more to it than just having a client and server up and running
the study of common interest. really this is quite possible but making it like wow is not that easy even if its a simple concept that is done with alot of marketing schemes. Its really an art that is a break or make kinda deal. Bill Gates not just incredible but he is good at wat he does setting up and pitching idea.
Bring more Pain

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement