• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
Brain

Any use for ancient DOS code?

This topic is 2835 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hi all,

Many years ago i wrote a simple sideways scrolling shooter in turbo pascal much similar to the arcade game "r-type". The code for this is not particularly neat and tidy (it is a bit of a mess, and the algorithms used are not efficient!), nor will it compile and run on anything modern.

My question is would anyone here benefit from me releasing this code for reference? I am unsure as to wether anything in the code will have a use, maybe as an example of a first game - let me know :-)

Advertisement
Hi braindigitalis,

if you still have the original assets, why not release those? Everyone needs free art/audio assets :) Alternatively, why not recode the game in a language .NET and release that? I imagine that would help the community more than Pascal code...

Cheers
Kurt

Quote:
Original post by kurtkz
Hi braindigitalis,

if you still have the original assets, why not release those? Everyone needs free art/audio assets :) Alternatively, why not recode the game in a language .NET and release that? I imagine that would help the community more than Pascal code...

Cheers
Kurt

Somewhere i do indeed have the assets. The music was free-to-use HSC tracker files, and the sprites were a sprite format created in a sprite editor i had written previous to the game. I will have to dig them out. I could probably rewrite the entire game as a tutorial project in C# which would much improve the quality of the code, however it is just a matter of finding time to do this!

Thanks for your feedback :-)

if you rewrite it, you have to release the old code, then, too! or even let it scroll trough in the credits, or something (and a song singing "still alive" would fit perfect).

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!