• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
Brain

Windows XP: Is it dead yet?

This topic is 2887 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

As the topic says. It seems that many people are clinging to XP's dead corpse and holding back development of games.
This may sound crude but my opinion is that people hanging onto XP are holding back development and keeping many games from moving past directx 9.

My question of course is, when will XP finally be dead and buried in your own opinions, and have you already started developing in anticipation for its demise? Do you already use functions of directx 10 and above exclusively for indie game development, or even for professional game development?

Please discuss. :-)

Advertisement
Windows XP happens to work just fine, so I have no plans to upgrade. Certainly, not because of some indie developer doesn't want to support directx 9.

Assuming steam's current trend then probably not less than a year until XP goes away. But remember that the end of life for XP is 4/8/2014 (which doesn't mean, but but shows when it will probably die quickly).

Honestly if you want to go for DX10 then go for it, but don't expect a huge change. There's a lot of people that hate change. I had a friend that was using Windows 2000 up until two years ago.

This reminds me of SSE support also since most people don't upgrade their processor for a very long time.

Quote:
Original post by Sirisian
Assuming steam's current trend then probably not less than a year until XP goes away. But remember that the end of life for XP is 4/8/2014 (which doesn't mean, but but shows when it will probably die quickly).

Honestly if you want to go for DX10 then go for it, but don't expect a huge change. There's a lot of people that hate change. I had a friend that was using Windows 2000 up until two years ago.

This reminds me of SSE support also since most people don't upgrade their processor for a very long time.

Yeah not everyone is gung-ho into upgrading their computer. Just like I have a cell-phone that I haven't upgraded for years. All I care is that is still works and let's me make phone calls. Until then I'm not looking to upgrade since I don't have a compelling reason to go out of my way to buy a new one.
Personally, I think Intel's crappy graphics chip they bundle in low cost computers is holding back game development more than people hanging onto XP?

[Edited by - daviangel on October 18, 2010 3:15:27 PM]

Quote:
Original post by daviangel
Quote:
Original post by Sirisian

Yeah not everyone is gung-ho into upgrading their computer. Just like I have a cell-phone that I haven't upgraded for years. All I care is that is still works and let's me make phone calls. Until then I'm not looking to upgrade since I don't find them interesting.
Personally, I think Intel's crappy graphics chip they bundle in low cost computers is holding back game development more than people hanging onto XP?

I do agree that these graphics chips might hold back development, however how many gamers buy cheap systems? :-)
I suppose as more people buy new PCs (as parts of their old XP systems break that are impractical to replace such as motherboards etc) they will end up with windows 7 on them as vendors are no longer allowed to sell new systems with XP as far as i am aware, they have agreements with MS to not do this.

Quote:
Original post by Ed Welch
Windows XP happens to work just fine, so I have no plans to upgrade. Certainly, not because of some indie developer doesn't want to support directx 9.

If you need the latest features of graphics cards, and still want to support Windows XP, you can always use OpenGL. But really, I think that the type of people who want the latest graphics and those that use out dated operating systems are fairly disjoint sets.

I didn't mind XP when I was still using it but once I had switched to 7 I never looked back.
XP feels terribly unmodern to me now.

That said I'm still developing with DirectX 9 and many of my users run XP.

Quote:
my opinion is that people hanging onto XP are holding back development and keeping many games from moving past directx 9.

How exactly are people "keeping" games from moving past DX 9? If you mean, instead, that there is still a sizeable market for games that run on XP and there's still money to be made there, that's how the market works.

Maybe if you describe what you don't understand about making money.. [wink]

Games have already moved past D3D9. In the interest of supporting as many platforms as possible, of course developers are still supporting D3D9. All of the major AAA engines have had their DX9 renderers for years so the code base is very mature. They won't spend much money updating that piece, but the cost to include is minimal especially considering the potential market they would miss without it. Yes studios will continue to target the XP market as long as the market is alive, but the engines nowadays are scalable enough that the holdouts are not holding anyone back.

When will XP be dead? When new 64 bit drivers are developed for everyone's legacy hardware (a.k.a. never). Seriously though, give it a few more years and market share will largely shift away from XP. Hardware and OS migration tend to happen in sync though.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!