Looking for good free 3d game/graphics engine

Started by
20 comments, last by donkey breath 13 years, 6 months ago
OP:

Sounds to me you're trying to get something done that would showcase your skills as well as having something finished under you belt?

Then it depends what you want. Do you want to get more to the metal of things?
Then something like Ogre or IrrLicht might be of more interest. Especially if you don't want to begin from scratch.

However ..

If your intention is to have something to show to game companies? Then they are probably more impressed if you do something with a more widely used engine. I would in that case suggest using either ID's Quake engine, Unity 3d, Unreal engine or Ogre 3d. They are also all free by the way, with a large community to aid.

Out of all I mentioned, getting something done with Unreal Engine would probably be most impressive. Since you are very likely to see, or even use it in the industry.

Having done something with any of those would show that you have the skills (but more importantly) and that you have the ability to finish your goals. In context of the latter, the tool you use is of less importance.

I'd say the most important part is to show you can deliver.
No no no no! :)
Advertisement
Hi,

I want to start by saying that I do agree with everything people have told you thus far. Unity is a great product.

Now, if you somehow decide to pursue working with an engine in C++, for whatever reason, there are more alternatives.

You can look into G3D as well, its open-source and actively developed. I have no idea if its on-par with the latest free engines but it looks nice.

I think if you do a good search you'll find quite a bit of C++ engines out there, but many will be outdated or won't have a supporting community.
-----------------------------He moves in space with minimum waste and maximum joyGalactic Conflict demo reel -http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hh8z5jdpfXY
Ok. First, thanks a lot to everyone, you've been really helpful.
Second, in response to what my goals are: I'm not interested in showcasing anything to anyone, and am not at the moment considering a career in game development. All I want is to learn something, have fun, and finish a game.

So far, my main candidates are Panda and Unity; I'll think I'll try both and fool around with them a bit before making a choice. I'd love to use C++; I'll take a look at Panda with that and see if what Daaark is saying is as bad as he's making it out to be. I'll steer clear of Unreal for now though.

So I'll keep an eye on this thread, but I think I've got the answer I want. Thanks.
Out of curiousity what language is the unreal engine written in, and can you get older copies of it freeware? I know the latest ones are only available to established producers and have an enormous price tag.
I haven't heard of any of the unreals being released freeware or GPL (like id does). The current unreal engine is available for free for hobbyist, to sale something you pay a one time fee of 99 dollars then pay 25% of revenue above 5K.
Quote:Original post by adder_noir
Out of curiousity what language is the unreal engine written in
C++, but, what difference does it make? It's a pre-compiled executable toolchain. It's just a game authoring toolchain. It could be written in anything and spit out the same executables for you at the end.

The Unreal Engine drives it's games with a built in scripting language. Check out the section called 'The Unreal Virtual Machine'.
Thanks for yet more good info. So as well as learning C++ is it advisable to learn how to use the Unreal Engine scripting language too? Or am I asking a bit much of myself there, and is it worth doing it anyway? Thanks.
Quote:Original post by adder_noir
Thanks for yet more good info. So as well as learning C++ is it advisable to learn how to use the Unreal Engine scripting language too? Or am I asking a bit much of myself there, and is it worth doing it anyway? Thanks.
Once you understand the concept of computer programming, picking up side languages likes UnrealScript or Python, etc... becomes easy.

It's only advisable to learn UnrealScript if you are going to use the UnrealEngine.

I see thanks. I was thinking it might enhance one's employability potential. Sounds like the best thing is to just stick to learning *your* language ;o) In my case this is C++ and a degree in Java starting next year.

Thanks again.
Quote:Original post by DaaarkC++, but, what difference does it make? It's a pre-compiled executable toolchain. It's just a game authoring toolchain. It could be written in anything and spit out the same executables for you at the end.

So as long as the final code ends up correctly in a suitable machine code (assembly language) for the intended platform processor's architecture, it can be written in any language, just the more higher level, the more decomposition time needed between input and assembly language right?

Have I got that concept correct?

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement