• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  

Recommendations for open-source C++ 3d game engine?

This topic is 2652 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hello,

I'm getting into game development and I'm looking for an open-source 3d game engine to start me off but I'm having a hard time deciding which I should use.

I found Panda3D and thought it was gold until I discovered you can't really make a standalone runtime with it. It just packs Panda and the game files together, kind of tacky if you ask me.

I've browsed over several others but I'm just too indecisive I suppose.

In your opinion what open-source C++ 3d game engine should I adopt? Preferably something with python scripting but not required.

Advertisement
I use Irrlicht. It's easy to use, but it has no built in scripting support (neither Python nor another one). You could search the official Irrlicht forum on sourceforge.net, there are tons of wrappers around, maybe there's also one for Python.

Sweet.

I noticed Irrlicht it just a 3d engine, no sound, physics or networking. OGRE seems to be very developed and has a big community with great documentation. I'll look at both more in depth but those are definitely my two candidates.

How modular is each engine? IE - adding new sections or swapping out the physics and the like.

Thanks guys

Ogre3D is just a rendering engine.

Are you going to create a game or show off your C++ skills?

If the former applies, you might take a look at the great all-in-one engines that came out for free not so long ago. namely Unity3D and the UDK (Unreal Developer Kit)

I don't want a "game maker" or anything that you just install and make a game, but rather open source code of an engine that I'm free to modify and redistribute.

I'm looking for something with good documentation and ease of use, I'm broadening my C++. Like many people, I learn better through example and doing rather than following a book.

Thanks

Quote:
Original post by xlrustylx
I'm looking for something with good documentation and ease of use, I'm broadening my C++. Like many people, I learn better through example and doing rather than following a book.
In that case, stay far away from open-source graphics engines. None of them are shining examples of good code.

Quote:
Original post by swiftcoder
Quote:
In that case, stay far away from open-source graphics engines. None of them are shining examples of good code.

So you would recommend that I use libraries to create my own engine as a learning project?

Quote:
I don't want a "game maker" or anything that you just install and make a game, but rather open source code of an engine that I'm free to modify and redistribute.
'All in one' engines like Unity and so forth aren't 'game makers'. They'll generally take care of a lot of low-level details for you, but actually making the game is up to the developer.

That said, such engines are unlikely to meet your requirement of an open-source C++ code base, so I suppose it's more or less academic.

Quote:
So you would recommend that I use libraries to create my own engine as a learning project?
No, I would recommend that you write games. Developing an "engine" is a complete waste of time until you have developed a game (see the required reading).

Okay I guess you are looking more for the learning experience then.
Nothing wrong with that.

I worked on our game Fragfist with Ogre3D, Raknet and Nvidia Physx (back then it was called NovodeX by Ageia). It was a good combination. Ogre already has some wrappers for external libraries but we ended up integrating Ogre into our "engine" rather than build the game around the framework that Ogre provides.

Making everything work together smoothly requires some effort however and it's often the "glue code" that's pretty hard to get right.

cheers

I have tried both OGRE and Direct3D 11 and, Direct3D 11 was easier to use because OGRE is a OpenGL/DirectX wrapper with only instancing and the most basic things included. Learning ORGE on Unix, Linux, Mac and Windows takes more time than implementing your own engine for only one platform.

Irrlicht is good in general but you may feel limited because it is not multi purpose like OGRE. You can use PhysX with Irrlicht but it is not built in.
http://irrlicht.sourceforge.net/tut_physx.html

Irrlicht is much faster than ORGE and more performance means more items in the game and larger levels. Irrlicht have a cleaner design than ORGE because it is made by one person.

Quote:
Original post by Dawoodoz
Irrlicht is much faster than ORGE
There is no meaningful performance difference between IrrLicht and Ogre. Please don't make this type of claim unless you have empirical and reproducible performance data to back it up.
Quote:
Irrlicht have a cleaner design than ORGE because it is made by one person.
This is a subjective judgment, and somewhat suspect at that. While I personally find Ogre to be a little over-engineered, it does have a very clean, object-oriented design. IrrLicht has always suffered from being a one-man product (though it hasn't been just one man for a while now), as well as a horrific case of NIH syndrome...

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement