Recommendations for open-source C++ 3d game engine?

Started by
12 comments, last by swiftcoder 13 years, 6 months ago
Hello,

I'm getting into game development and I'm looking for an open-source 3d game engine to start me off but I'm having a hard time deciding which I should use.

I found Panda3D and thought it was gold until I discovered you can't really make a standalone runtime with it. It just packs Panda and the game files together, kind of tacky if you ask me.

I've browsed over several others but I'm just too indecisive I suppose.

In your opinion what open-source C++ 3d game engine should I adopt? Preferably something with python scripting but not required.

Advertisement
I use Irrlicht. It's easy to use, but it has no built in scripting support (neither Python nor another one). You could search the official Irrlicht forum on sourceforge.net, there are tons of wrappers around, maybe there's also one for Python.
What about Ogre3D?
Terathons C4

http://www.terathon.com/c4engine/features.php
Sweet.

I noticed Irrlicht it just a 3d engine, no sound, physics or networking. OGRE seems to be very developed and has a big community with great documentation. I'll look at both more in depth but those are definitely my two candidates.

How modular is each engine? IE - adding new sections or swapping out the physics and the like.

Thanks guys
Ogre3D is just a rendering engine.

Are you going to create a game or show off your C++ skills?

If the former applies, you might take a look at the great all-in-one engines that came out for free not so long ago. namely Unity3D and the UDK (Unreal Developer Kit)
I don't want a "game maker" or anything that you just install and make a game, but rather open source code of an engine that I'm free to modify and redistribute.

I'm looking for something with good documentation and ease of use, I'm broadening my C++. Like many people, I learn better through example and doing rather than following a book.

Thanks
Quote:Original post by xlrustylx
I'm looking for something with good documentation and ease of use, I'm broadening my C++. Like many people, I learn better through example and doing rather than following a book.
In that case, stay far away from open-source graphics engines. None of them are shining examples of good code.

Tristam MacDonald. Ex-BigTech Software Engineer. Future farmer. [https://trist.am]

Quote:Original post by swiftcoder
In that case, stay far away from open-source graphics engines. None of them are shining examples of good code.

So you would recommend that I use libraries to create my own engine as a learning project?
I don't want a "game maker" or anything that you just install and make a game, but rather open source code of an engine that I'm free to modify and redistribute.
'All in one' engines like Unity and so forth aren't 'game makers'. They'll generally take care of a lot of low-level details for you, but actually making the game is up to the developer.

That said, such engines are unlikely to meet your requirement of an open-source C++ code base, so I suppose it's more or less academic.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement