• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  

DirectSound .WAV type

This topic is 2772 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

i have a question about using .wav's with DirectSound. It seems that it's very particular about what type of .wav file its trying to play. Is there something i need to know about how to make the correct type of .wav file when i'm converting from some other file type?

Advertisement
Quote:
It seems that it's very particular about what type of .wav file its trying to play.

If you're having a particular problem, you might want to describe it and ask for help. Without a description of why you say it's "very particular" it's difficult to provide advice.

Otherwise:

1. Open the Windows sound recorder accessory and check under file properties for acceptable conversion formats.

2. Open the DirectX caps viewer utility and see what DirectSound capabilities your machine has.

I haven't used DirectSound in a long while (too busy upgrading other stuff at the moment), but, as I understand it, .wav files represents "lossless" uncompressed wave data and is thus the easiest one that DirectSound can "understand".

Below is a good link I found a while back, which includes code on how to convert .wav files into DirectSound buffers.

However, with regards to converting other file types into .wav files, you will have to use a converter.

As said, it's been a long while since I've played with DirectSound and, so I hear, its deprecated technology which has been superseded by other sound libraries.

Not sure why to be honest. DirectSound can utilize hardware acceleration. I am unsure about others such as XAUDIO2, X3DAUDIO, and XACT. So unless you're adamant about using DirectSound, it might be wise to check these out first. Perhaps they already have built in file conversion (?).

Anyway here's that link:

DirectSoundLink

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

Participate in the game development conversation and more when you create an account on GameDev.net!

Sign me up!