2D programming

Started by
3 comments, last by Jsin 13 years, 6 months ago
So I'm now in my second year of my programming classes, I wanted to start programming some 2D games, such as a mario clone or megaman, does anyone have any book recommendations? Thanks for reading.
Advertisement
What programming language(s) do you know? If you know more than one, which would you prefer to use when programming your games?

- Jason Astle-Adams

Sadly, I only know C++ as of right now, but hoping to increase my languages.
Depending on your confidence and experience with C++ you may be able to start right away with developing games in C++. Look for a book called 'Game Coding Complete' which is a directx and C++ centric book which has a lot of useful information in.

If you do not feel confident with C++ and wish to get started quicker, you might consider also learning C# and XNA, which has a less steep learning curve and has the added advantage of being able to write and deploy XBOX 360 games as well as windows games. In this case look up "XNA Game Programming for xbox 360 and windows" published by Wrox.

As far as the industry goes, i hear that most game studios are using C++. It's down to you really, but the experience writing a game in any language carries over well to any other language as you learn it and expand your skill set.
What about any good books for the C# language?

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement