Absolutely FREE Sound Library

Started by
13 comments, last by Jamoflaw 13 years, 6 months ago
Hi, umm I'm trying to add Sound and Music to my game, but haven't found a FREE donwloadable Library. Can you suggest some??

OpenAL isn't free if you commercialize your game. FMOD isnt either. DirectX SDK is too big to download (514MB) Which is plainly impossible for me to download (limited quote, and most of the time the download will get dropped by my ISP). So, can you find a way out??Just dont tell me to google, cause I've tried once. And enough is enough.
Advertisement
Quote:Original post by Bow_vernon
Hi, umm I'm trying to add Sound and Music to my game, but haven't found a FREE donwloadable Library. Can you suggest some??

OpenAL isn't free if you commercialize your game. FMOD isnt either. DirectX SDK is too big to download (514MB) Which is plainly impossible for me to download (limited quote, and most of the time the download will get dropped by my ISP). So, can you find a way out??Just dont tell me to google, cause I've tried once. And enough is enough.

Obviously your google foo is very weak.
You absolutely can use OpenAL in a commercial project as it is under the LGPL licence.
Do you think it's realistic to expect to create a successful commercial game with no budget? Just a worthless opinion, but even if OpenAL weren't free I'd recommend using it anyway for personal projects. If you ever get your game to a saleable stage then by all means port it to a different libraries. The hard part is getting actual assets such as sound and music.

Rate me down if you think my advice is counter-constructive.
Quote:
DirectX SDK is too big to download (514MB) Which is plainly impossible for me to download (limited quote, and most of the time the download will get dropped by my ISP)

I am currently in the same situation. (But I ordered DSL yesterday, hooray!)
What I did when I needed something big for my projects, I simply asked some friends to download it. Worked well :)
BASS is free for non commercial and dirt cheap for commercial licenses. You could also look at SDL_mixer.
SlimDX | Ventspace Blog | Twitter | Diverse teams make better games. I am currently hiring capable C++ engine developers in Baltimore, MD.
Quote:Original post by SappharosDo you think it's realistic to expect to create a successful commercial game with no budget?

Maybe not realistic, but certainly possible:

http://www.minecraft.net/stats.jsp

400k units sold of an alpha version with lego block graphics made by 4 guys. Everything they used is free:

http://www.minecraft.net/credits.jsp

Quote:Original post by Sappharos
Do you think it's realistic to expect to create a successful commercial game with no budget? Just a worthless opinion, but even if OpenAL weren't free I'd recommend using it anyway for personal projects. If you ever get your game to a saleable stage then by all means port it to a different libraries. The hard part is getting actual assets such as sound and music.

Rate me down if you think my advice is counter-constructive.

Sure, if you don't count personal time it is entirely possible to develop a successful commercial game with little to no budget.

I can think of a couple pc games (mincraft already mentioned but meh) which have been financially successful with basically no budget (as far as I can tell in a quick search anyway). I know there are countless examples of iPhone apps in which the only cost (beyond time) was the cost of the developer program which is about $100...

Here's a funny post from a recent minecraft update:

Quote:...too many people are signing up for the game, and each registration is taking slightly longer to complete than the interval between how often people sign up. The system can only handle a single sign-up at a time, which causes a bottleneck.

I think that's a pretty good problem to have.

Quote:Promit: BASS is free for non commercial and dirt cheap for commercial licenses. You could also look at SDL_mixer.

Both good suggestions with one caveat: SDL_mixer supports 2d sound positioning only.

To the OP: I have an example of an SDL_mixer wrapper which supports playlists and other stuff here:

http://michaelhamilton.com/Files/M2tMLibraryExample.zip

You're welcome to investigate and use this if you like, just let me know if you do, I love hearing about projects code I've written makes it into.

[Edited by - M2tM on October 19, 2010 7:42:08 PM]
_______________________"You're using a screwdriver to nail some glue to a ming vase. " -ToohrVyk
Definately recommend BASS, I use the BASS.NET wrapper in my blind computer interface software, it's extremely easy to use.

Never tried it for games though (always use a game engine).

How about cAudio ( http://caudio.deathtouchstudios.com/ ) it's zlib ?
I have no idea why you think you're not allowed to use OpenAL in commercial products. It uses the LGPL, which means you're perfectly allowed to use it in commercial products, and you don't even need to distribute the source code for your product.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement