• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
Computercodemonkey

C or C++

This topic is 2978 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

i found out yesterday that the programing i did 14 years ago before life interrupted was in c not c++ like i thought

explains why c++ books were confusing me

now that i know why the c++ books were confusing i can probably hurdle the issue no problem but before i muddy the water any more.

Should i learn C or C++ first i know learning c++ i will learn c sorta
and will my standard c++ compiler i picked up compile c fine?

Advertisement
Just about every C++ compiler will compile C code as well.

Your C skills will carry over into C++.

IMO, pure C will let you focus on what's important: branches, loops, pointers, memory, data structures.

From there, you'll have a solid understanding to move toward a more object-oriented approach with C++.

If you want to jump straight into OO, consider a higher-level language, such as C# or Python.

Personally, I learned C++ first and then C.

C++ is, for all intent and purposes, a superset language that (almost) contains C, among other "languages". So learning C++ first will also mean that you will learn aspects of C too.

But as the previous poster has said, C allows you to focus more on core details since it is a much more "leaner" language.

Either way, I don't think it makes too much of a difference on what route you take. My advice would be, just make sure you eventually "learn" them both. I say "learn" because you will never really learn C++. It's such a rich, vast language that's evolving all the time. The next major update of C++, C++0x, is due next year I believe and from what I've seen it might as well be called C+++ because of all those new features that a lot of us are now going to have to learn, and in some cases, relearn. [sad]

Also, if you're up for it, learn C# too. C# is a seriously cool language that can make your Life ten times easier as a budding programmer. It's a much higher language than C/C++, but you can use it in conjunction with those languages to create uber applications, among many other things.

I'd recommend c++ personally due to the 'modern' features it has that you'd have to work without in c. However, I personally use Java and related languages (which are still heavily c-based). The best part of these languages in that it's strict OO - no headers, no linkers, and a standard API built in make it very easy to jump into. Since c# has been mentioned, I'd like to pose JavaFx: it's amazingly easy to learn and has extensive APIs. It's comparable to flash or c#, but it's highly portable.

I know I've sidetracked a bit; however, while learning to program, the language itself is not as important as the concepts. Some languages just let you do a little more with those concepts.

I'd personally suggest "C+1", that is, a subset of C++ which looks pretty much like C.
I seriously consider C++, especially in its latest versions, seriously bloated. Last time I tried to work on a "modern C++" program, it drove my IDE to its knees.

Either basic C++ ("C+1" as I call it) or something else. Say Java or C#.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

GameDev.net is your game development community. Create an account for your GameDev Portfolio and participate in the largest developer community in the games industry.

Sign me up!