Havok or Physx

Started by
9 comments, last by grhodes_at_work 13 years, 5 months ago
Hi ,

I want to start with one of these. (Not opensource ones like Bullet, just one of these)

And what I want to do is to integrate one of them to my Direct3D Wrapper.

Which one would you suggest , by means of examples documentation and direct3d samples ?
Advertisement
Both a great engines. I think Havok has a more complicated API and there is a lot you can do wrong initially, but it gives you also great freedom. PhysX is propably a little easier to learn. I would look at both documentations/demos and then choose whatever you prefer. You will not make a mistake by choosing one over the other. Both are professional engines and used in many shipped titles. In either way you will learn a lot.

HTH,
-Dirk
PhysX have it's tutorials in OpenGL and downloading had to be done from Softpedia because the links don't work on the official site. When using PhysX with DirectX you must convert the matrices because they can't agree on one axis system. I would still choose physX because it is free. You should learn the basics of OpenGl so that you can try the examples before planning your integration.

http://crolengi.wordpress.com/2009/05/18/directx-physx-english/
Havok is also free and there are plenty of tutorials. There is actually one downside with PhysX. You cannot statically link it. So your potential clients *must* install the PhysX runtime. This will change earliest with the release of PhysX 3.0. So if you want your stuff to run out of the box you have to use Havok.

Ok btw what about Direct3D and Havok ? (will look but trying to download at the moment)
Honestly, Havok has shipped propably a hundred games. Do you actually believe it is not working with Direct3D? Whatever graphics API you plan to use it will work! There is also a nice article in the documentation about matrices. I recommend reading it.

Sorry , I wrote it missing

What I wanted to mean was , in Havok SDK are there samples for Direct3D ? I guess so...
Currently I am more likely to go with Havok because of two factors :

1) As a guy who does not even like D3DX ( dll problems... ) , I want to distribute my demos easily, I dont like run time dependencies

2) I really loved this for future purposes :

http://www.havok.com/index.php?page=pro

Thanks to all answerers....
Quote:So your potential clients *must* install the PhysX runtime. This will change earliest with the release of PhysX 3.0.

It was changed in PhysX SDK 2.8.4. (does not require PhysX drivers installation), which is available for several months already.
Thanks for the update. I didn't check PhysX recently. Still you need to provide some DLL locally which means for my understanding that static linking is still not an option.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement