• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
Dawoodoz

Registering a DLL written in VC++ 2005

This topic is 2948 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I can't find anything good written about how to self register my DLL made in VC++ 2005 so that regsvr32 or an installer can make it work in Windows7.

Is there any guide about this that don't use .NET or any other framework that I don't even use?

Advertisement
The module must export an entrypoint named DLLRegisterServer, prototype of which is documented here. When regsvr32 is run with the module name as the parameter, it calls this function within the module.

The implementation should write all the registry keys the module needs. In addition, it could be a good place to check for dependencies.

The COM activation system (CoCreateInstance et al) works by looking up said registry keys and loading corresponding class instances based on the data therein.

I don't know what key to write because I haven't modified the registry before.
Is there any example code for beginners?

I don't know of any beginner tutorials - COM internals tend to require advanced development skills.

That said, here is the official guide about the topic.

Be sure to read the rest of the guide around that too, if your intention is to develop native COM components.

I know, that's why I recommended that you read the entire guide section in the docs. It has very solid information, but you need to be somewhat skilled in software development (in general) before you take on implementing COM objects.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!