• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
FableFox

writing a 64k intro demo tool

This topic is 2860 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

while there is a lot of books on opengl, directx, game programming, there is not much on tool programming (only a few). only recently there is a book that focus on game engine design, development, and programming.

anyway, i plan to develop a 64k intro demo tool, just for fun. no set date, no feature set. i don't care if at first i could only make a 3d rotating box with generated texture map.

- all I need to know is - how to create an app that create .exe with embedded data?

- is there any compressor that norton would not flaq as virus? i've been watching too much 64k intro on youtube these days because of this.

- are book on game engine programming / development is good for me to read to understand this kind of thing? if there is, any titles that you would suggest.

i've been looking at

http://hugi.scene.org/online/hugi35/hugi%2035%20-%20demoscene%20resources%20adok%20demo%20sourcecode%20list.htm

for more ideas and effect. right now i'm focusing on the tool itself.

i plan to use purebasic (www.purebasic.com). but any links to code is good.

in other word, i plan to develop something like .kkreiger or a.d.i.c.t 2 (http://conspiracy.hu/release/tool/addict2/)

i can do my own reading and research, i just need to be pointed out to the right direction.

thanks.

Advertisement
Quote:
Original post by FableFox
- is there any compressor that norton would not flaq as virus? i've been watching too much 64k intro on youtube these days because of this.
Thus why the rest of us boycott Norton/McAffee/etc. - they are very intrusive. Microsoft Security Essentials almost never flags packed intros, and even AVG free only flags them occasionally.

If you are distributing to end users who may be stuck with Norton (corporate policy or some such), your best bet is to offer a slightly larger unpacked version of your executable. My impression is that this is becoming a fairly common practice lately.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!