• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
Rainweaver

Dynamic water ripples

This topic is 2804 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I've always been intrigued by dynamic water ripple effects in games. A few years ago I found Humus' demo and I believe I understood how it works (though I had scarce success in recreating it, as I'm not really a graphics programmer).

I noticed that World of Warcraft has improved its water rendering (which includes ripples), and it rekindled my interest in understanding how it works with bigger water bodies (bigger as in arbitrary size).

I'd also like to know what technique is used to draw foam where the water mesh hits the terrain.

Since this is actually two questions, my apologies.

Thanks in advance.

Advertisement
I'm pretty sure the foam you see close to the terrain in World of Warcraft is the result of a depth test. It probably checks the distance between the water and the ground under it and uses the foam texture if is within a certain distance threshold.

Quote:
Original post by Flimflam
I'm pretty sure the foam you see close to the terrain in World of Warcraft is the result of a depth test. It probably checks the distance between the water and the ground under it and uses the foam texture if is within a certain distance threshold.

Nice, thanks. I see foam is also slightly animated (looks like it's made with flat, dish-like particles). I think it'd be efficient as a post-process effect, is it a post-process effect?

What about the ripples instead?

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

Participate in the game development conversation and more when you create an account on GameDev.net!

Sign me up!