Methodology of developing game

Started by
0 comments, last by AnnaMarie 13 years, 2 months ago
Hi, guys. I just want to know that is there any book describing the methodology of developing games. I think that game developers prefer agile development. And I really want to have a book about these things.

What's more, I also want to read something about testing of games. Anyone has good advices?

Thank you all!
Advertisement
I know of a few, this may be some help. I actually have read most of them, some are much better than others. They go into all the different aspects of how video games are made - from level and mechanics to creating the story. They provide a great introduction to the process in my opinion. Another book here is much more interesting to me to read, because he provides better examples. I learned a lot from both books that I was able to put to use but I have realized that there is no one way to make a video game. For example, making The Sims would have a very different production flow from the next Call of Duty. Even then, Call of Duty will differ very much in terms of production from its counterpart, the Halo franchise. If that made any sense rolleyes.gif both books touch upon the subject of testing them, but they do not go into comprehensive detail simply because I think there is less to talk about than we think. Most testing of games are done by people who play the game over and over and complete a checklist with an area for writing any new bugs they found or what they didn't like. Kinda hard to make a whole chapter on that cool.gif

No matter what game you are making though, all the books will tell you to get the basics working before you develop too much of the game. For example, if you are making an online game, you would develop the login server and databases before you would even start implementing game mechanics. Even Blizzard, creators of the most popular MMO ever, have done this by leaving the XYZ testing area in their game, along with testing textures.

Also, you may start at the bottom of the totem pole and will game much more experience as you move up, much more than the books will tell you. Making games is all about making mistakes, seeing if they are bad or actually bring something unique to the game, fixing them, and having fun - at least to me smile.gif

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement