Text File or Binary file for Names and Home Address

Started by
1 comment, last by the_edd 13 years, 6 months ago
I am developing an application to send out people's names and their home address via the network. As you see, most of them are ASCII characters. Now I have 3 options: either send out an ASCII file over the network, or a binary file, or a compressed binary file. I believe the file size will be smaller when using binary file, and will be the smallest by using compressed binary file.

My question is, how many percentage of gain in general should I expect by using binary file than using ACSII file to save the pure text like name and address?How many percentage of gain in general should I expect by using compressed binary file (say gzip is used for this case) than using ACSII file to save the pure text like name and address? Any idea?

Thank you.

Advertisement
42%

Give or take.

The rest depends on statistical properties of data being sent as well as overheads involved.
Why not stick them in a text file and find out for yourself? I found this in about 30 seconds on google. Some more here.

What would your "binary file" contain? Surely a compressed "text file" is the best possible "binary file"? (Assuming you value bandwidth over computation expenditure).

Also, be very careful of assuming ASCII. Especially for something as arbitrary as names and addresses.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement