• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  

DirectX 9 to DirectX 10/11

This topic is 2647 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

hey guys
i started learning about DirectX through a great book but the kicker was that this book was written in DirectX 8.0, i have learned most of the basics of Direct3D 8 and was able to convert easily to 9.0 (still having some kicks with shaders).
Currently my computer doesn't have the power to support DirectX 10 (surely nor 11)
but i'll get a better one soon and am trying to get a way to help me convert easily to 10 and 11, any suggestions???
P.S: is the D3DX helper class really gone in DirectX 10???

Advertisement
I think a good place to start is with our free online book about D3D10 (see the link in my signature below). This will provide an additional reference with lots of examples and source code for demonstration purposes. If you really understand the D3D9 API, then moving to D3D10/11 is not that difficult - you just need to follow some of the suggestions given in the various slide decks from both the IHVs (AMD/NVidia) and Microsoft.

With that said, as long as you are not running Windows XP (i.e. either Vista or Win7) you can already start using D3D11. The runtime provides the concept of 'feature levels' that allows usage on lower level hardware. You just don't have access to the fancy stuff, but you can get your engine set up to use the whole pipeline and be ready when you upgrade. (D3D11 hardware is getting relatively inexpensive now, and will continue to decrease in price...)

If you go that route, you can also check out my D3D11 engine (also linked below) as a starting point. Plus there is always the DXUT library that ships with the SDK as well.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement