• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
Andrew1979

Rotating objects in Direct3D

This topic is 2823 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hi

Even though I'm fully aware of how to basically rotate an object in Direct3D I am currently having a problem rotating the object about its centre.

By default, Direct3D rotates from the corner of the object I'm wanting to rotate, how do I change it so Direct3D rotates about the objects centre?

Any help appreciated.

Thank you in advance.

Andrew

Advertisement
Rotations are always around the origin. You call it rotated from the corner because it so happens in your case that a corner sits at the origin.

If you want to rotate about an arbitrary point, you need to translate the model so that the point sits at the origin. Then rotate. Then translate back.

An alternative is to first ensure that your models are all centered about the origin in local space. I don't have any suggestions on how to accomplish that however.

As nobodynews said:
Quote:

An alternative is to first ensure that your models are all centered about the origin in local space.

if it is not:
use D3DXComputeBoundingSphere to obtain mesh center
then translate object like:

D3DXMatrixTranslation(&transMat, -center.x, -center.y, -center.z);

then rotate.

Or simply center it in your modeling program.

Could anyone provide a code example of this? I'm not sure how to do any of that in code.

I have tried what has been suggested but it keeps messing up or just rotating around the same point again :(

I have a model for a character in a bounding box, it rotates from the corner of the object and not the very centre of it, how do I go about rotating it from the centre of the mesh object?

Any code examples I might be able to go off or a tutorial or some sort?

Thank you.

Yes, the problem is that my game character rotates around a point rather than on the point itself, how do I change it so it rotates around the centre of the game character?

Ok. try something like this:

// in some init function
LPD3DXMESH mesh;//your character mesh previously loaded
D3DXVECTOR3 center;
float radius;
D3DXVECTOR3* pPos;
mesh->LockVertexBuffer(0, (LPVOID*)&pPos);
D3DXComputeBoundingSphere(pPos, mesh->GetNumVertices(),mesh->GetNumBytesPerVertex(), ¢er, &radius);
mesh->UnlockVertexBuffer();

// in your render function
float elapsedTime = getElapsedTime();//some timer function
float rotSpeed = 10.0f;
D3DXMATRIX transMat, rotMat, worldMat;
D3DXMatrixTranslation(&transMat, -center.x, -center.y, -center.z);
D3DXMatrixRotationY(&rotMat, elapsedTime * rotSpeed);
worldMat = transMat * rotMat;
dev->SetMatrix(D3DTS_WORLD, &worldMat);
mesh->DrawSubset(0);

but you should recenter your mesh in some modeling program!

EDIT: i have made some mistakes in code it is fixed now

is your "game character" some kind of humanoid model?
if so it might be that (local center) pivot point is just below its feet?
on witch axis are you rotating it?
it would make sense to rotate it only on Y axis!

I have the same problem.

I want to ratate the object at model space,not the world space.I have tried some,like D3DXVec3TransformCoord and D3DXMatrixRotationAxis,but it doesn't work.

I don't want to D3DXMatrixIdentity then D3DXMatrixRotationX then D3DXMatrixTranslation(God save me).

Is there other easier way to do that?

I have studied a little with OpenGL and I do not know if you have to stack and combine the same way but I would say check that first. Make sure you are stacking your matrices correctly, especially your translations or else your object will not rotate correctly. It is a little backwards with OpenGL....

(Translation back to point) * (XRotation) * (YRotation) * (ZRotation) * (Translation to origin)

I don't know if this will help, but I hope it gives you some insight.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!