reading & writing BMP in C#

Started by
3 comments, last by Headkaze 13 years, 6 months ago
hi friends

I'm using C# (VS 2008), I have to work with extra large images (sometimes bigger than 20000x20000 pixels), I use following commands to tile my images (I should tile these large images into smaller parts - for instance 1000x1000 - so that I can load them in DirectX textures), but windows cannot load some of them (because of extra large size), so I want to read & write BMP files manually, how can I read BMP files pixel by pixel and make smaller BMP files, how I can I write BMP files? can I solve this problem by writing files manually?

Bitmap bmpImage = new Bitmap(fname);//error for big files (perhaps not enough memory?)

any sample or code would be highly appreciated, thanks
Visit galaxyroad.com which soon will have english contents too
Advertisement
Quote:Original post by vcGamer
Bitmap bmpImage = new Bitmap(fname);//error for big files (perhaps not enough memory?)

any sample or code would be highly appreciated, thanks

What is your exact error or exception?

Based on a few quick Google searches of Microsoft forums, it can handle any size image up to your addressable memory limits. A "big" uncompressed bitmap can mean several megabytes, or it could theoretically be multiple gigabytes. There are even examples online that work with 1.6GB images.

If you need to break it apart you can find the format documented in MSDN. It can be a container for many data formats, so check the header for formats that you can't handle.
thanks

I mean images that can even be larger than several GBs, as I'm working with geographic files, my problem is lack of enough memory, even if I use 64 bit windows and buy several GBs of RAM, it is always possible that my files are bigger than memory so I cannot load images in the normal way into a C# Bitmap class, and I must read only some pixels of a large BMP file, how can I read only some pixels of my BMP file and write them as a new file?
Visit galaxyroad.com which soon will have english contents too
Quote:Original post by vcGamer
How can I read only some pixels of my BMP file and write them as a new file?

The bmp format is a container. It can have lots of different formats of images inside it.

Check the MSDN link I gave before. It's got the details of each structure.

The file starts with a BITMAPFILEHEADER structure. You'll need to read and parse it.

Next is either a BITMAPINFO or BITMAPCOREINFO structure. These have all the details about how to interpret the rest of the data.

The rest of the file is all based on the contents of those headers. The data can range from an actual bitmap (one bit = one pixel) to 32bpp pixel map. It can be compressed in several different ways, or not. It can use a palette or raw colors. It can have color planes, stride between data, and stride at ends of rows.

You'll need to put all those together to figure out each individual pixel's data.
You could try the FreeImage library, it has a .NET wrapper.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement