Tetris Evaluation

Started by
4 comments, last by AniMerrill 13 years, 5 months ago
Finally I got around finishing my Tetris game :) This was a hectic project considering I attempted a bunch of new things like options (ability to change controls) and have put in some music (which hasn't taken that long actually, mainly because I kind of half-assed that aspect >.>).

Either way, I think the game is playable and the graphics aren't completely butchered (aside from the menu). The sound sub-menu is very poor in setting choices since as it turns out, the win32 API isn't as straightforward as I thought it would've been.

Here is the screenshot of the game:

I think it doesn't look too shabby :D It could use a title screen and whatnot, but I didn't think it was that important for the game to have one at this point; I'm a little more concerned about the programming part.

Tell me guys if you see anything I could improve on in my code (I could probably find a more systematic way of implementing the menu >.>). Thanks a bunch, and enjoy the game ;] It's pretty addicting I must say.

Executable + Source - Link to fixed version :D Turns out Firefox wasn't working right.

EDIT:

- (Fixed) I just noticed the music doesn't change from one song to the next one. I'll try to fix it and post the updated source.

[Edited by - boogyman19946 on October 21, 2010 7:33:40 PM]

Yo dawg, don't even trip.

Advertisement
Oh come on ;] No one? At least a comment on the overall look of the game XD

Quote:Original post by boogyman19946
Oh come on ;] No one? At least a comment on the overall look of the game XD
Tried it - looks good, plays well :)

You probably already know where some additional polish might help, but here's a couple things I noticed:

1. I'd expect the sound/music to turn on and off when the 'sound' menu item is clicked, rather than when the menu is closed.

2. I'd also expect clicking on any part of a menu item (e.g. the button for sound, or the key names for the controls) to activate the menu item (as it is now, it's a little unintuitive).

Separate enable/disable and/or volume options for music and sound effects would be good as well.

I think the music could probably be fine-tuned a little. No need to re-write it; just another pass at the production would probably suffice. Personally I'd probably try to thin it out somewhat and drop some of the denser and heavier synth textures - basically, go for a lighter feel overall. Writing game music can be tough because it needs to compliment rather than overwhelm, and it needs to be comfortable to listen to for long stretches (assuming you have it on in the first place). I think the music could be made to work - I just think it would benefit from a slightly different approach to the mixing and production.

I like the look and the framing and everything, and the game plays well as far as I can tell. Very nice job overall, and congratulations on finishing it and getting it out there :)
Yea the game seems to all play well with no bugs that I really found.

A few things I would add are:

I would make the lines flash a few times before being removed
I would make it possible to select the starting level

They are just things that were in the original.

Good effort.

"To know the road ahead, ask those coming back."

Quote:Original post by jyk
1. I'd expect the sound/music to turn on and off when the 'sound' menu item is clicked, rather than when the menu is closed.

2. I'd also expect clicking on any part of a menu item (e.g. the button for sound, or the key names for the controls) to activate the menu item (as it is now, it's a little unintuitive).

Separate enable/disable and/or volume options for music and sound effects would be good as well.

The music sections I have rushed a little bit, but the tip on clicking any part of the menu item has actually completely slipped my mind; I need to find a better way to set the applied options from the menus to the actual game because as of now, what I actually do is 1. I set the options in the menu, 2. when I exit, I save them into a file which sends a message to the game object to reload them (hmm... maybe an apply button ^.^!), 3. and then they get reloaded and applied.

Quote:I think the music could probably be fine-tuned a little. No need to re-write it; just another pass at the production would probably suffice. Personally I'd probably try to thin it out somewhat and drop some of the denser and heavier synth textures - basically, go for a lighter feel overall. Writing game music can be tough because it needs to compliment rather than overwhelm, and it needs to be comfortable to listen to for long stretches (assuming you have it on in the first place). I think the music could be made to work - I just think it would benefit from a slightly different approach to the mixing and production.

I have a friend who made the music for me :) I'll be sure to let him know your tips! Thanks a bunch ^.^

Quote:I like the look and the framing and everything, and the game plays well as far as I can tell. Very nice job overall, and congratulations on finishing it and getting it out there :)

I spent the most time making the blocks out of all the graphics :D The graphics are lacking because I was doing the project more for the coding practice, but I didn't want it to look completely half-assed ^.^

Thanks a bunch :D I'm thinking about making a side-scroller next... a challenge it will be XD

I definitely dig the music, for sure, and the colors and layout are okay. The only thing is that it feels a little "sticky", if you know what I mean. Like, the movement right and left seems laggy and it takes a second for it to register that you want to quickly move the block down. For that reason, it feels a little odd compared to the original tetris.

Other than that though, its cool. I just wish the controls were smoother.

AniMerrill, a.k.a. Ethan Merrill

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement