• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  

Definitions of Mesh

This topic is 2739 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I have doubts about exact definitions of vertices, edges and triangles of a mesh.

If make a difference, I'm using mesh .x (directX)

Thanks

Advertisement
The "points" in a mesh are vertices, and they can pack a lot of information to help describe how geometry should be rendered. An edge is just a line connecting two vertices, and you should know what a triangle is! [smile]

Edges and triangles are defined by encoding relationships between vertices using either an index buffer or by adding data to a vertex buffer in a certain order. DirectX makes things a little easier on you by interpolating data in the vertices across the edges/triangles described by the buffers.

A .x file is just one medium of storing vertex and index data, as well as custom data relevant to the appearance of the mesh. Note that the .x file is used much less frequently these days.

I suggest you research vertex buffers first and render a cube, then look at index buffers and render a terrain. That should give you a nice introduction.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement