Source Code Control

Started by
9 comments, last by demonkoryu 13 years, 6 months ago
Hi,

I am setting up my development environment at home again after a long period of no usage.

I need a free source control tool that can work of just a disc somewhere (needing no server install) so I can point it to my RAID NAS.

Optionally a free web based option would be interesting, but I need to be able to make it completely private.

I need a windows client and would like a linux/mac one.

Ideally I need something that also have a visual studio client, but that isn't a must by any means.

I do have a source safe license, but rather not use that as not all development will be MS based (or probably not even windows based).

Any ideas?

thanks,

J
// Jens
Advertisement
Hi,
Quick to my mind is TortoiseSVN.
http://tortoisesvn.net/
I am not aware of any server-less source control systems... I think NTFS supports versioning however. Don't quote me on that ;)
Git. Can easily work from the file system (needing no server). And it has a Visual Studio plugin.
Quote:Original post by Madhed
I am not aware of any server-less source control systems... I think NTFS supports versioning however. Don't quote me on that ;)

As stated, subversion (or tortoisesvn) can work without a server. So do git, mercurial, gnu arch, etc. In fact, this is the default work mode for most distributed version control systems.

And indeed, NTFS supports versioning, but it is not at all suitable for source code versioning.
Quote:Original post by summaky
As stated, subversion (or tortoisesvn) can work without a server. So do git, mercurial, gnu arch, etc. In fact, this is the default work mode for most distributed version control systems.

D'oh, nevermind...

GIT: http://git-scm.com/
Its distributed (so you don't have to worry about not having an internet connection to some server)
Quote:Original post by summaky
Quote:Original post by Madhed

And indeed, NTFS supports versioning, but it is not at all suitable for source code versioning.

thanks so far guys, just to double check - when you say "working without a server", it still means I can put the repository on a shared drive and access it from multiple computers?
// Jens
Quote:Original post by JensB
thanks so far guys, just to double check - when you say "working without a server", it still means I can put the repository on a shared drive and access it from multiple computers?

TortioseSVN lets you work that way even for multiple users, although it's not entirely recommended - performance will be much better with a proper server.

For an online solution Perforce offers a free non-expiring 'evaluation' for 1-2 users.
Quote:Original post by JensB

Yes, thought you should be careful about accessing it concurrently(then you should use a server solution). I use svn and a NAS to archive my code and syncronize it with different PCs.

Quote:
...performance will be much better with a proper server

The reading is "proper". I installed a SVN server on my NAS and it was unbearable slow for binary data. Using tortoise and a shared storage is much faster when you don't have a proper server at hands and want to archive binary data (i.e. art,textures ).

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement