• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
kslam

RTS character heading problem

This topic is 2944 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hi,
I create a RTS game. I got a problem of the character heading. I can calculate the angle of rotate by using dot product, but I can not control the direction of the rotation. For example, turn to right or left when I click the location on the left hand side of the character. The character may turn to right hand side 90 degree and not left hand side 90 degree. Any one got the solution ?

Advertisement
Post your code for determining the angle and the direction of rotation. The dot product of 2 vectors will give you the angle between them, but won't tell you which vector is on the "left" and which is on the "right."

The code is in Dark gdk

float ar = 0, br = -1, cr, dr; // First heading (ar, br)and second heading (cr, dr)
float bb = dbMouseX();
float ba = dbMouseY();

double pickVector = dbPickObject ( bb, ba, 1, 10 ) ;
float xHit = dbGetPickVectorX() + dbCameraPositionX();//Pick the x and z location on 3d terrain of mouse location
float yHit = dbGetPickVectorY() + dbCameraPositionY();
float zHit = dbGetPickVectorZ() + dbCameraPositionZ();

cr = xHit;
dr = zHit;
kcr = xHit;
kdr = zHit;

dbMakeVector2 ( 1 );
dbMakeVector2 ( 2 );
dbSetVector2 (1, ar, br);
dbNormalizeVector2 ( 2, 1 );
float vX1 = dbXVector2 (2);
float vY1 = dbYVector2 (2);

dbMakeVector2 ( 3 );
dbMakeVector2 ( 4 );
dbSetVector2 (3, cr, dr);
dbNormalizeVector2 ( 4, 3 );
float vX2 = dbXVector2 (4);
float vY2 = dbYVector2 (4);
float vka = vX1 * vX2 + vY1 * vY2;

r2 = dbACOS ( vka );
dbYRotateObject ( 10, r2);
ar = kcr;
br = kdr;

You can use atan2(y,x) to obtain a signed angle. From there you can probably figure out how to do what you want, although some naive angle computation might be off by 360 degrees, and the code to handle this might end up being a bit messy.

Alternatively, you could not use angles, and rotate by using either 2x2 matrices or -my personal favorite- complex numbers. But I don't know how much of a Math enthusiast you are, and you may find the first solution easier.

You can use atan2(y,x) to obtain a signed angle. From there you can probably figure out how to do what you want, although some naive angle computation might be off by 360 degrees, and the code to handle this might end up being a bit messy.

Alternatively, you could not use angles, and rotate by using either 2x2 matrices or -my personal favorite- complex numbers. But I don't know how much of a Math enthusiast you are, and you may find the first solution easier.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!