• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  

Better container

This topic is 2646 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hello,

I was building a "collision" system for my 2d game today... However I notice it's very inefficient.

What I do is create a dynamic bitset (using boost dynamic_bitset).. Of size w*h. (or actually I create a class which has this bitset..). The slow part however are the things I do with the set: I do a lot of "copying a part" (ie cell 2,2 to 4,5).. And adding these parts to other maps (and comparing etc).

The problem is that I'm doing this is an inefficient matter (I think), for each "subset" I use a double for-loop to loop through all cells.. And check them 1-by-1.

Isn't there a faster way? - Maybe using a better container so I can copy, compare & add these sub-sets in a faster way? - Without doing a manual copy of the bitset for each operation?

Advertisement
Step back - you're micro optimising.

I assume this is pixel perfect collision detection? Are you doing any high-level culling to reject collisions early if objects are not overlapping? What about spatial partioning?

Quote:

However I notice it's very inefficient.

How are you measuring this?

Well the class itself is dependent for checking wether a collision is possible (it does a basic rectangle check). And yes it's for pixel perfect collisions..

As for noticing: well it's a feeling.. I'm just feeling like "this isn't right, this can't be the best way to solve this problem". I'm having a bitstream which represents a number, then there ought to be ways to get a sub-stream with a "simple" (for a computer, I myself am not able to make it hence I'm asking here) calculation.

Especially since I want to use this "map" for a destructable terrain (and thus have to be able to "remove" parts of the grid).

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement